1993 Kettle

Marcus Brannon

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a 1993 3 daisy wheel kettle for $20 today. Overall, it's in good condition, but I had some questions for the experts here:

1. I thought the handles would be shot and need replacing.. but to my surprise once cleaned a little the weber logo came out on both of them. Some people recommended 0000 steel wool and spar urethane to restore them. Does that sound good?

2. The triangle isn't like the triangle on my newer kettle. It's only got a center support. Is that normal? I can't seem to find others like it in image search. Also, it is rusted but not terribly so. 0000 steel wool on this? Anything I can do to protect it?

3. The leg cap is missing. I know I can get replacements of all sorts (rubber, champagne cork) but what was originally on a model at this time? I kind of like the idea of it being standard.

4. Loose legs. There doesn't appear to be anything to hold the legs in. When I go to roll it, the front one falls off.

Here are photos: http://imgur.com/a/vFGH0

Last edited:
Nice pickup! That particular kettle is the BAR-B-KETTLE model. By 1993, the kettles that had the three daisy vents at the bottom (as opposed to the One Touch Sweeper) were now considered the "basic" kettle model. These only had one bowl handle (at the front) a single brace triangle, black wall wheels (no whitewalls) and a white leg cap on the front leg. These kettles were phased out in the U.S. at the end of 1999. Ace hardware typically has replacement 1" diameter caps you can get in white or black. As for the legs not staying in the sockets, remove them, give then a slight squeeze with some needle nose pliers and try to reinsert the legs. They may just need a little reshaping to stay tight in the friction sockets. Use the 0000 steel wool and that porcelain will shine like brand new again. Those handles seem to be in great shape. Maybe some VERY light sanding and some teak oil or spar varnish will have them looking brand new. Congratulations on the find. I tend to prefer the daisy wheel kettles and this one is a very nice one at that! :)

Last edited:
Once again, this never seems to happen around me! Excellent score! Have a wonderful time playing.
I guess it's going to be time for a bundle of OOOO steel wool and elbow grease come spring!
Just picked up a silver B for a price I was willing to pay, parts will be more than the purchase price but, that's how it goes.

I'm excited to restore it. I did discover some light rusting on the rim of the lid. I think a little sanding should take care of it, but what should I put over the spot?

Also, what are the opinions of making it a fire pit? I'd keep the original legs, wheels and triangle somewhere, so it'd be reversible. We had a fire pit that had a grill grate, but it rusted out. I think this would make a great replacement for that. Wish Weber still made their fire pits in the US.

No way would I make that beaut into a fire pit. If you want to chop it and make a JJ fine, but a pit? sorry..

Tim

But, it is much more than a JJ!
The early models like that were what I cut my teeth on, probably did my first twenty turkeys on one like that.
Tinker with the legs, and give it the respect it has earned. How many other companies,make equipment that will hold up that long? All my old ones were given to people who had no grill and I got the itch for a new one. All, save two are still being used, the two were allowed to suffer by new owner neglect and lack of maintenance.

I hate to disappoint, but it's getting converted to shorter stature :-/

I have the new legs cut - I found a shower rod at Home Depot that matches the diameter and wall thickness of the original legs. As I said, I am saving the original legs.. this isn't a permanent thing. Perhaps I'll find I don't like it. It'll still be cooked on either way.. in no way will this be "abused" as simply a fire pit. when the cooking is done, some wood will go on for backyard ambiance.

Back