Auto temp control for WSM

Matt Mills

TVWBB Member
Is there any way to fit my 18" WSM with a temp control device? It hasn't been a real issue to keep my temp at +/- 10 degrees of my target but it would be nice to know it can stay right on.

BBQ DigiQ. They make an adapter to fit the WSM. I'm a controls engineer and I'm blown away how accurately it can control temps. I filled my water pan with ceramic bricks and once it gets a good heat soak, it'll maintain within one degree. Expensive, but well worth the money.

I did a search shortly after I posted this and that is the one I have decided on. I didn't realize how simple it mounted to the WSM. And the battery power is a major plus to me. No need to bring a generator just for that. Looks like a great product to me. Thanks for the replies!! Glad to know everyone on team weber is willing to help out fellow grillers!!

The PartyQ is great. Not as expensive as the others, runs off batteries and can be converted to a "plug-in" style if need be/wanted.

If you get a good set (or two) of rechargeable batteries, the PartyQ is a breeze to operate. The only issue with rechargeables is the "nipples" on the positive ends are "very slightly" shorter than regular batteries. (Why, I do not know!) Anyway, I had issues initially and even had a thread questioning why they didn't work. Once it was pointed out to me about the "nipple" issue, I was able to get it working by assuring I had appropriate contact. I get at least 12 hours out of my rechargeables and if I have a longer cook, I just use my 2nd set. If the weather is good, I can hook up my "mod" for plug in use.

Happy smoking! :wsm:

I just ordered a pitmaster iq110. I will give a review once I have it on hand and some trials with it. we'll see. I know a guy with one that swears that his works well, so I decided to follow suit. Hopefully it doesn't burn me (pun sorta intended).

If you're handy with the soldering iron, there's a whole section of this forum devoted to the HeaterMeter (https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller). After adding up the costs of the DIY project, it's significantly less than the cost of the pre-built commercial products, especially with the features that compare with the higher end CyberQ and others, but it will definitely require a more significant investment of time and patience on your part. Looking to make the plunge myself, but waffling between trying to make the HeaterMeter (with very little soldering experience) or just going with the off-the-shelf product.

I've had bad experiences soldering... I'd have no problem buying all the components, but I'd have to find someone with the ability to do a good solder job.

Brian- make the HeaterMeter. It is so much better than the off the shelfs.

Andrew, thanks for your input! After reading extensively through this forum, specifically the HeaterMeter thread, I bit the bullet and ordered the parts yesterday.

I've had bad experiences soldering... I'd have no problem buying all the components, but I'd have to find someone with the ability to do a good solder job.

Steve, same here. Bad experience soldering some years ago but this was before YouTube and its abundance of tutorials. HOPEFULLY, this means I will do better this time around. Haha. :confused:

Best advice I can give is use a soldering pen, not a gun. Also go with a really fine point tip, not a chisel, and use the cleaning pad often!

I've been pretty happy with my pitmaster IQ 110. Personally, I no longer care for wifi features etc... it's more to monitor and tweak and ultimately worry about not working right.

Amen! The DigiQ DX2 is a great tool to use. After the first (or second) time using it you put all of your trust into it and R-E-L-A-X.

I've been really happy with setting the vents and let the cooker decide where it wants to go. I used to have an ATC but I simply do not need that kind of accuracy for backyard cooks. Natural aspiration works surprisingly well when you have a well seasoned cooker and a few cooks under your belt to set it and forget it. YMMV

I've been really happy with setting the vents and let the cooker decide where it wants to go. I used to have an ATC but I simply do not need that kind of accuracy for backyard cooks. Natural aspiration works surprisingly well when you have a well seasoned cooker and a few cooks under your belt to set it and forget it. YMMV
I would tend to agree, but with overnight cooks, piece of mind gives a good night's sleep. Then, you are able to enjoy the end product much more.

Back