The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Burgers

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-burger.html

I know some of you are into sous vide - some of the pics in the article look good enough to try

20150702-sous-vide-hamburger-120-degrees.jpg

20150702-sous-vide-hamburger-130%20degrees.jpg

20150702-sous-vide-hamburger-140-degrees.jpg

a bit rare for me too in that pic! They need to invest in a better thermometer I think :)

You know, every time I think of a reason to sous vide, I think of another reason why not. I was surprised by the look of the black & blue burger. I made a couple the old fashioned way when I got home last night in the 12" CI skillet & wish I'd have taken a pic - they were simple & darn good.

You'd never get my wife to eat any of those 'burgs. I'd have a hard time myself from a presentation point of view.

I have a hard enough time trying to convert her from med/well to med (let alone med/rare like I like it).

Our nanny (provincial--like your state) gov't has legislated restaurant burger temps to be served no lower than 160oF (71oC). Like a piece of shoe leather in some cases.

OTOH, I guess it does protect us from business' that use shoddy methods (from a health/sanitation POV) to grind their meat (unless it's trucked in in bulk and then to protect us from shoddy refrigeration methods).

Conclusion: mine are better than store bought in any case as I obviously know what cuts are getting put through the grinder.

Last edited:
So you cook your burger, let it cool to room temp under paper towels to absorb any moisture and then cook it again to add texture and char to the outside? And if you grill them to need use a ripping hot grill? Isn't that how you are supposed to grill them any way? This seems like added steps to what should be a simple food to cook. Here is a better idea, learn the skills to cook it correctly on the grill to begin with and stop relying on technology to do your job for you.

Ok, I must really need a Snickers this morning. I'm crabby.

I generally cook mine to 135 but 145 is ok too and a little safer if you don't grind your own meat. Sous vide seems like overkill for burgers. Maybe if you are cooking a big steak house style burger. I really love that grill taste so the longer over the coals the better.

I bought the original Anova SV version in 2015 when it was offered on Amazon for $100 off, paid $100.
It worked very well, but just wasn't for me, sold it on eBay for $200, it seems the original model is, or was, preferred over the newer one.

Back