Crispy porchetta

Brian Lee

TVWBB Fan
Last week I was visiting the Costco in Mount Laurel, NJ and saw whole pork belly @ $2.59/lb, so bought a 10 lb piece and made porchetta for dinner tonight.

image1%201_zpswrguggci.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I cut the belly in half and then scoured the meat at 90 degree angles to create diamond cuts. Then seasoned with kosher salt, wild fennel pollen, black pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh thyme & rosemary, and lots of slivered garlic:

image1_zpsxlynf6sc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I then tied up the belly. One side was thicker so I couldn't get an even roll:

image2_zpsl18ctrmf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I baked in the oven @300F until internal temp hit 160F, and then cooked another 75 minutes until it was probe tender. And then crisped the skin by raising the oven temp to 500F:

image3_zpsa4ktao4y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After resting for 15 minutes here are the sliced pics:

Sorry, but no plating pics. The skin was nice and crispy while the inside was super tender. I'll be eating the leftovers on sandwiches the rest of this week. Happy New Year!

That looks insanely good Brian, I know Tony from the UK is gonna love this thread

I'll bet that was super rich and tasty! When I square up my belly for bacon before the cure, I always grill up the trimmings (unless they are too small, then they go in the sausage bag.....) A little salt and pepper, and let that fatty, piggy goodness come through! I may need to try this one out with the next belly I get, thanks for posting it up!

Rich

Looks Terrific Brian!
The Costco stores here do not sell belly with the skin on... :(

in fact, after giving yours a second look-see, seems yours looks very much like the bellies we get here, without skin.

Back