Finally nailed a brisket!

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
So on my 4th brisket attempt I finally nailed it! I used Stubbs briquettes and some pecan, wrapped in foil at 160 and it probed tender at 190 so I pulled it. This thing was insanely juicy and moist. I only used salt and pepper on this one as I have been over seasoning my briskets. It was delicious.

Now that I have had succes I will feel more comfortable trying different things on the next one.

Last edited:
So on my 4th brisket attempt I finally nailed it! I used Stubbs briquettes and some pecan, wrapped in foil at 160 and it probed tender at 190 so I pulled it. This thing was insanely juicy and moist. I only used salt and pepper on this one as I have been over seasoning my briskets. It was delicious.

Now that I have had succes I will feel more comfortable trying different things in the next one.
Based on your description, I wouldn't change a thing. Don't mess with success.

Looks pretty darned good to me!
I wonder why human nature drives us to, once we get something pretty well dialed in, try to "improve on success" by trying different things? Just an observation. I have found when I return to techniques which I have used with wonderful results in the past I start to wonder why I started doing things radically differently. So often I'm finding "Less IS More". I like the simple method of my kettle low smoked butts, basic early learned tricks, wise use of indirect method cookery, then I go off a tangent and do something which is usually far more demanding of time and attention and end up with a product which was just fine the old way with less gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments.

Tim,
We just had leftovers for dinner and it was even better. I will probably go with this plan for a while.

The only thing I want to possibly try is giving butcher paper another try.

Happy New year everyone.

Hey Bruno, there's nothing wrong with trying something different.
We all like consistent results, but branching out to different methods makes the BBQ more interesting.:wsm:

Tim

So, I'm not the only one who's 0-for-3 with brisket. I won't say that misery loves company. I WILL say that I hope to learn from your experience. My 4th attempt is on my to-do list for 2017.

There's only 2 of us so after a smoke and a meal I will take half of what's left and vacuum seal it then freeze. For re-heating I just let it thaw then toss it in a pot of water and boil for awhile before pushing a probe into it (on a corner that's not in the water) to make sure it's up to temp.

Back