Ancho Chile Powder

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
I was going to try Mr. Kruger's rub receipes and had my wife look at the grocery store for Ancho Chile Powder, New Mexico Chile Powder and green peppercorns with no luck. Do these need to be purchased from a specialty store and if so where.

Thanks Steve

Try online from a place like World Spice, they sell whole, crushed an d powdered.

You might have some luck finding whole dried anchos etc in your area. Try ethnic grocery stores and mid-market - high end grocery stores.

In either case I prefer getting whole dried and grinding myself. So much more flavor.

Not sure where you are, Steve, but Shawn's advice is right. Look in the Hispanic spice section (not usually with the 'regular' spices but sometimes nearby, sometimes in a different aisle). There you should find whole dried peppers in bags and ancho should be one as they're the most grown and exported dried. You will also find them in Hispanic markets.

NM peppers you'll not likely find. I like the NMs from here as they are available in varying heats.

I get chilies and spices from WorldSpice as well, and chilies from Sweet Freedom as well.

Whole Foods carries green peppercorns in bulk.

I like Penzeys spices. We are lucky to have a store in KC. Their bulk bags are pretty reasonable, especially compared to supermarket prices. The smaller jars are a bit much, but I like to have them to organize my spice drawer and refill them from the bags.

Sign up for their free catalog, they have had about 2 free coupons per year for the last 2 years.

Sweet freedom is where I get my Chilies from as well. I just got some in a few weeks ago. I had to wait a week as they were waiting for the Anchos to come in. Boy they are nice and fresh, glad I had ordered 5 lbs. of them.
icon_biggrin.gif
Sweet Freedom is a great place to deal with as is World Spice. I haven't bought anything from Penzeys in years. Not knocking Penzey's at all, I just like SF and WS better.

Bryan

I went to the Sweet Freedom and World Spice websites, and I gotta say, I will probably become a customer of their's soon.
Thanks for the info!

Back