Smash Burgers on my Mojoe

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've wanted to do this cook for a while now, but when I saw John Solak's cook a couple of weeks ago, I moved it up on my schedule. I love burgers with a good crust and this was just the method. The recipe is from Ballistic BBQ.

Here are the ingredients. The bowl on the left is the Smash Seasoning and the bowl on the right is the Smash Sauce.

My new Smasher.

On the Mojoe.

Flip after a couple of minutes. Great crust.

Toasted buns and Deli American Cheese.

Smash Sauce and Ketchup.

Butter Lettuce and what will have to pass for a fresh tomato.

"Sliver" of purple onion.

Three Dill Pickle Chips.

This will have to be my plate shot. I could say the regular plate shot was blurry or I had a camera problem. The stupid truth is I forgot to take it. I was 99% done with my burger and my wife asked me "Did you get your picture?". What a bonehead I can be sometimes. Anyway, that's the cook. That burger, by the way, was the best I've ever done. My wife thought so too. The crust was outstanding and truly delicious. The burgers were sided with my wife's potato salad. You'll have to do a visual on that!

Thanks for looking everyone. Hope you all have a happy and safe New Year!

Last edited:
I'd say it was a smashing success Cliff!
We had smash burgers the other night using my griddle over a charcoal fire, it's hard to beat that char.

Those look great Cliff. I started using a griddle for all my hamburger cooks and haven't looked back, definitely the best way to cook a burger.

Perfect burgers Cliff, love smash burgers do ours on the little griddle. Glad I'm not the only one who inhales my dinner before I remember the plated picture.:rolleyes:

WOW!!!! Cliff you nailed that one, it looks so yummy. Burgers are on the menu for next week and they are going to be smash ones of course. Thanks for sharing.

Cliff your smashburgers look great! What is between the two burgers on the bun on the right hand side of the photo?

Cliff your smashburgers look great! What is between the two burgers on the bun on the right hand side of the photo?

That is a cheese skirt .. the crispy and crunchy bit of cheese caused by the griddle or it may be some of the fried cheese like Cam did a video on a while back. Either way it looks tasty to me :)

Last edited:
Nice catch eagle eye Bob!
I'm thinking a McFish square. :p

:cool:

Bob... Don nailed it. I probably should have put more detail on the process. The burgers are grilled in melted butter. The juices from the meat caramelize with the butter and melted cheese and make for an excellent crust. An added treat is the cheese skirt that forms along the perimeter of the burger.

I read something about someone's butter burger (think it might've been culvers) - it wasn't the meat that was buttered but the bun.

The reason I mention it is it reminds me of my neighbor's burgers - not sure exactly how they do it but I suspect it's a butter/toasted bun.....and it really adds a lot. I asked and he said to come over next time but I haven't seen exactly how they make their simple but delicious burgers yet.

(I'm disappointed it's not a fish filet btw) :)

Hey Cliff! You got me drooling on this one! That burger crust and the cheese skirt push the taste sensation way over the top! Love me some skirt! What was in the sauce? Was this in one of Greg's (Ballistic) recent videos?

Greg and I are going to go camping in the desert together in the next couple of months and collaborate on an over-the-fire gourmet cook out in the middle of nowhere. Should be interesting.

Cam

What was in the sauce? Was this in one of Greg's (Ballistic) recent videos?

Thank you Cam! The sauce was 1/4 Cup Mayo, 1/8 Cup Mustard, 1 1/2 T Dill Pickle Relish and 1 1/2 t Lemon Juice. Yes, this was one of Greg's recipes. Love his channel and I've been following him for years. That camping trip sounds great. I'll be watching for the video.

Yep once again it's happened! I get something ready for dinner and my idea is dashed to pieces because now I want a lovely big tasty toasty bunned burger !!!
You guys are KILLIN' me!

Great Looking burgers Cliff! We like to do them on the discada. Fry up some JoJo's or onion rings and Smash some burgers!

Back