Weber 7422 Wok - seasoning?

Kristof Jozsa

TVWBB Fan
Santa brought me a Weber 7422 Wok to use with the GBS grates on the Master Touch. The Weber manual says I should wash it with soap and warm water, dry it with paper towels and start using it. My own experience with cast iron would say heating some oil into it on my induction stove top and drying it off using paper towels. Meathead's book on the other hand (another excellent xmas surprise!) says one should preheat cast iron for 30 mins in the oven, lubricate it with oil on paper towels and put it back to the oven baking it for another hour on maximum, cooling it down gently and repeating this whole process at least 2 more times!

As I saw reviews of this Weber Wok on Amazon, people do complain a lot about food sticking to it and that keeping it clean becomes a burden. For that reason alone I would go with Meathead's process, but that wok just doesn't fit in my kitchen oven... Can I go through that complex seasoning process using my kettle? Should I?

Besides, do anyone have easy recipes suggestions to kick off cooking in that wok? I've never owned a wok before but I do love thai food a lot.

Kristof, it's yours and you can do any method you wish but, if you simply treat it the same as you would any cast iron skillet you should be fine.
Recipes? I have a couple but, there are so many, I'd pick a favorite and run with it!

Kristof,
I have the wok and the griddle. Griddle was first and I treated it like I do all my other cast iron. Got the wok last year and decided to treat it as instructed by weber (wash with soap and water after each use). I have had no problems with food sticking to the wok even with washing it with soap and water after each use. My understanding is the Weber cast iron is porcelain coated, so it will withstand mild soaps.

My favorite dish to cook in the wok is philly cheese steak. Thinly cut strips of beef ribeye seasoned with just salt and pepper, along with onions and bell pepper. Serve on a grilled steak roll and a piece of "white" american cheese. I prefer this in the wok over the griddle due to the taller sides for turning.

I've done Mongolian Beef as well. Thicker cut strips of beef flank, green onions and sesame seeds. I cheat a little by using a bottle version of Mongolian sauce...

Yeah, it's porcelain-coated, so soap and water is fair game.

I like to make chili in mine. Throw some wood chips in there and now you're smoking chili. Good stuff.

Back