Auber Maiden Voyage

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
All,
This Christmas I received an Auber for my 18.5 in WSM and wanted to give you a report of its first use.

I received the 6.5 cfm fan and the gasket with the unit.

For Christmas dinner I was going to try to cook a prime rib on the WSM and thought this would be a good time to try out the Auber.
I attached the fan unit to the WSM, plugged the two other holes on the vent with some chrome plugs purchased from the hardware store. I dumped a full starter of unlit KBB and dumped in about 40 lit and two small chunks of oak on top of the lit and assembled the smoker with out water in the pan. I used my Maverick to monitor the pit temp and the meat. The Auber probe was clipped to the Maverick pit probe. I put the lid on and let the pit come up to about 10 degrees below the target temp of 225. From there I closed the remainder of the vents with the lid vent being at 50%. I let the Auber take over from there. The Auber brought it up to temp and held it there. I put the meat on and let it ride. I did do an Auto Tune once the temp stabilized after adding the meat.

The Auber maintained the temp nicely. The fan would come on briefly to keep the temp stable.

As people were starting to get hungry, I bumped up the temp to 250. This is where the Auber exhibited an interesting behavior. As I turned up the target temp, the fan kicked in to get the fire going. The pit temp began to drop dramatically. I assume this is due to the large amount of cool outside air being forced into the pit. To remedy this I opened the other two vents and unplugged the fan. Once again when the pit temp was within 10 degrees of the target, I closed the vents and allowed the Auber to take control. This worked very well.

Overall I am very pleased with the Auber. It should fit the bill nicely for my overnight cooks. :cool:

I did notice the Auber was registering temp that differed from the Maverick. Next day I boiled a pot of water and tested the temp with the Maverick probes, and a calibrated thermometer. These were within a degree of each other. The Auber was off and was able to use a function to adjust an offset. All three, the Maverick, the thermometer and the Auber are now within a degree of each other. The procedure is outlined in the manual and NakedWhiz also speaks to this. I would suggest doing this before your first use of the Auber.

Hope this helps.

Great write up on the auber ATC. I've used them for a couple of years and loved it. I've also found the temp probe is about 10 degrees lower than the maverick probe. I should have tested it in boiling water and adjusted but never have. I think I'll do that this winter to get it calibrated for my upcoming spring contests.

Back