Oven turkey

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Sacrilege I know but it's my wife's turn for the bird so no smoke, just the oven. BUT since we have a convection oven, I went that route.

Followed Chris' dry brine method (salt, salt & pepper & baking soda on the skin).

Well, I gotta say it's the crispiest skin (not counting smokin' it) and am pleased.

12 lb bird took 90 min! Temps are right (off when breast hit 165 (a concession to her as I did want 160o) ) and the thigh was 180.

Only issue is she didn't believe me when I told her it would only take 90-120 min. Now, it's 3 pm and we don't eat till 5.30.

ROflJt9.jpg

db6rP7O.jpg

Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with using the oven, turkey looks great. That's a lot better than smoking a turkey with a freezing rain all day and 30mph winds like I did Thursday, man that was a miserable experience.
Beautiful looking table too Len.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Thanks Rich.

Unfortunately, the leg/thighs weren't done enough. Probe showed 180 but when I cut in, it was way underdone in the the joints. Had to nuke it :( to get it acceptable. Breast was perfect. Super juicy.

Gotta learn convection better than this. Luckily only two of us like dark so dinner was essentially a success.

Last edited:
You did good Len. Bird looks wonderful and the table is spot on. And remember, we are our own worst critics.

Back