need help with pork shoulder and ribs

DChu

for Christmas this year, i'm going to be cooking for my family on the 18" WSM. I have a pork shoulder and 4 racks of ribs. I was thinking of getting up early (4am) to put the shoulder on the lower vent and then late morning (10 am), putting the ribs on the top vent. Dinner will be around 6pm.

Is the shoulder on the lower rack and ribs on the top rack the way to go? Thanks.

I'm not a food safety expert nor an experienced cook but I personally do not place raw food above cooked food.

If it were me, I'd put the pork shoulder on early on the top rack as normal and put smoke on it for 3-4 hours, then pull and wrap and put in the oven to finish off. That frees up the WSM for round two for the ribs.

In my limited experience, I'd say it all depends on how long you plan to cook each. You may be ready to foil the shoulder when you put the ribs on. I would suggest starting the shoulder 3-4 hours before the ribs. Foil it when you put the ribs on so drippings won't be an issue and put the shoulder on the bottom after you foil. 4 racks and a shoulder may be too much to fit on an 18" unless you are using a rib rack.

Agree with Matt - I have done 3 racks (no rib rack) and a butt at same time before.. Butt on bottom first for 3-4 hours foil then put ribs on top for 4-5 hours.. no issue with dripping because it's foiled...

Back