Today's Turkey

Cee El

TVWBB Super Fan
Happy Holidays to everyone here at TVWBB. I wanted to show a shot of a 14 lb turkey I just pulled off my 26" kettle. It's not for me, but for a young man at work who won't be able to go home for the holidays due to the demands of our jobs (Retail). The turkey is a Butterball, so it's enhanced, but it was marked down to $9.72, which is hard to beat. He wanted it deep fried originally, and I could have done it in my Big Easy, but I was out of propane so I convinced him to let me do it on the grill. I used Kingsford applewood charcoal alone, no wood, arranged in a tight pile on one side, and simply seasoned the bird with butter, Lawry's seasoning salt, and a chicken stock, butter, and white pepper injection in the breasts, legs, and thighs. It went on around 10:30 am and came off around 1:15 pm. Temp was 300-500 at times. I never really got it dialed in exactly, but I watched over it well enough to be happy with the results. I basted it with butter throughout the cook. Here is the final result.

It was an easy cook. The biggest problem was thawing it out. He bought it Tuesday but the fridge method was too slow so I did a quick (5 hours) thaw in the sink. Kingsford applewood was an excellent choice for fuel. Thanks everyone!

Looks great. Sink is a saviour for me too. I take my 12# out a week b4 Xmas and it's still a bit frozen inside. Not an issue, just a pain ;)

That looks great Cee El. Very nice of you to cook it for him. Merry Christmas!

See, now you guys are really making me want a 26! I'm getting looks from my wife so, I will suffer with what I used to think was almost enough. Enablers!

Turkey looks fantastic. I used my 22 for years with a similar set up, but upgraded to the 26 a couple years ago. That kettle is made for turkey! Very nice gesture on your part to help out your friend.

Very neat thing you did helping out a fellow worker. The last three turkeys I did were not completely defrosted after sitting in the fridge for a week, very frustrating. But yours looks great, nice cook.

Great job on the bird looks delicious. Like Rich said we have had problems the last 3 times. We did our turkey yesterday and this time I made sure by checking it the day before and into the sink it went.

Last edited:
I have yet to do a spatchcock Turkey. When I do, hope it turns out like yours did. Congrats. Merry Christmas

See, now you guys are really making me want a 26! I'm getting looks from my wife so, I will suffer with what I used to think was almost enough. Enablers!

I wanted a 26er forever, and found one with some damage on EBay for half price before shipping. It sat a while because I'd just bought a Performer, but now that I understand that both have their places in the arsenal, I use it all the time. The room you get is hard to beat!

Your a good man Cee for taking care of a fellow worker with a great looking spatchcock Turkey, now if they only made a 26".5 gas assist performer.

Back