Cold Smoker Tube

16 Ga, 1/8" offset hole 304SS rolled into a 2" x 12" tube with 2" 304SS end caps, one punched open to feed in pellets.

It's pretty thick at 16 Ga. I was going to build a few for friends out of the remaining materials (as presents) but I need to find a better way to form the roll as it was not easy in an average garage; but it should last a lifetime.

Bacon, salmon and cheese will be on my WSM shortly!

FPybY6-5k5UzlXHLWdGPVtWcEOlgrwL-y-yBzl-iIvxkjMJO75zpywOZTxH3MUePZrdqL5ozIfUy14qB7YFWGFBhA0c5w_E8G3We7b5cOzDRwSwtOrALC1tVh9merUH6_IPfgA=w800-no

Option two. Significantly faster to fabricate after the knowledge of the first one. Maybe only took me 10 mins. The trick is finding mandrells the appropriate size. I used a piece of PVC tube and a hardwood dowel. First coarse bend over the PVC with hands/bodyweight then begin hammering. The end caps are only held on with spring force but the sheet is so stiff I don't envision it being a problem.

These will be the style I make for gifts. Anyone see a problem with a slit vs an end hole for pelet loading? It should not roll if placed on a grill grate and I think it loads up easier.

fhDhkRNkI7hCSI0b8-mQaW5UMdkdmxfPf_9NUg-m_V_iiM2h7f-vg_N7Y06WkOtaQIwb86oPOrdfSG6WDGsX9Ww78nmOUCcDFeu6LBOjfdS-d8DIBNDpUEdnuY-68Ih8mpW9IQ=w800

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand how this device works / is used. Is just the pellets placed in there and then the tube is placed on coals? Or is it just smoldering pellets inside the tube with no other source of heat?

Amazen Smoker tubes have been around for quite awhile with a wide variety of wood pellets for whatever smoke profile you want.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

I used these when bbq'ing on my gas grill and got very good results.

The pellets burn on their own once started - you don't need a heat source.

Great for pre/cold smoking meats or salmon, or great for smoking while meat cooks.

I got much better overall results on the gas grill using these as opposed to smoker boxes or foil pouches.

Amazen Smoker tubes have been around for quite awhile with a wide variety of wood pellets for whatever smoke profile you want.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

I used these when bbq'ing on my gas grill and got very good results.

The pellets burn on their own once started - you don't need a heat source.

Great for cold smoking meats or salmon, or great for smoking while meat cooks.

I got much better overall results on the gas grill using these as opposed to smoker boxes or foil pouches.

Yep I have been using my 6", 12", 18" tube smokers from Todd for many years now. Not only do I use them for cold smoking I use them for hot smoking too. I pipe the smoke into the smoker for most hot smokes.

I have the new expandable tube smoker too. It works great also, but doesn't burn as long as the original tubes.

Here's a few photo's of me using it with the mini-wsm and the mailbox mod.

13536684173_4ececda4e0_c.jpg

13536594775_d56383830a_c.jpg

Yep I have been using my 6", 12", 18" tube smokers from Todd for many years now. Not only do I use them for cold smoking I use them for hot smoking too. I pipe the smoke into the smoker for most hot smokes.

I have the new expandable tube smoker too. It works great also, but doesn't burn as long as the original tubes.

Here's a few photo's of me using it with the mini-wsm and the mailbox mod.

Dude - that is at a whole different level than where I was at.

The mailbox/pipe setup is trick!

I was strictly 'amateur' with the tubes in my gas grill, but getting vg results. Your setup is in another league altogether!

The 'trick' with the smoker tubes is getting adequate and consistent air flow to keep the ember bed glowing and smoking. You got that figured it - fo sho!

Back