Adding gas assist to a Performer?

CarlB

TVWBB Member
I'm deep into winter up here in NH but I've been dreaming of spring so in my quest to up my BBQ game when the snow melts I've been planning some mods to my Performer. Knowing I should have bought the deluxe but not having it in stock when I picked up my Performer four years ago I've always wanted the gas assist. Instead of selling mine & buying a new one I'm wondering how easy it would be to add it?

Once I figure this out I'll decide between the Vortex & the Slow 'N Sear.....:cool:

Install is not super hard, if you handy. you need to mount the gas burner about a inch below the charcoal grate i would go to Ace Hardware or HD with some craft paper and use that to make the layout or someone who has a extra bowl that can trace the layout from the bowl lip down to the burner tube hole and its mounting screws. Then you life would be easier.
then just order up to parts from Weber or E replacement parts.

Ahhhhh, good call, I hadn't thought about Ace since HD doesn't have any with the gas assist for me to even see let alone copy.

Carl, I have two performers both are gas assist. You can get part # 10459 which is the burner assembly and part 74237 which is the regulator from ereplacmentparts. The control valve isn't even in the diagram. I looked at model 1421001. I looked at few other and they don't show the valve ether.
It may only be available through Weber, which creates another problem all Weber gas grills have a serial # including the gas assist performers. I don't believe that the non gas performers have a serial #. Even if it does they will ask for it and when you give them the # it will come up as a non assist performer. Their policy is they will not sell you any gas parts, because they don't want people modifying their products.
So my advice is to make sure you can secure all the correct parts before starting your project.
Good Luck

Gas assist installation guide

I'm deep into winter up here in NH but I've been dreaming of spring so in my quest to up my BBQ game when the snow melts I've been planning some mods to my Performer. Knowing I should have bought the deluxe but not having it in stock when I picked up my Performer four years ago I've always wanted the gas assist. Instead of selling mine & buying a new one I'm wondering how easy it would be to add it?

Once I figure this out I'll decide between the Vortex & the Slow 'N Sear.....:cool:

I added gas ignition to my second hand performer out here in Kenya. I purchased the parts from a UK based parts supplier. I followed the installation guide provided by Lawrence at http://http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/04/25/weber-grill-mod-adding-gas-assist/ , using the drilling template provided there. Dead simple! I did not bother with a valve as gas bottles here are totally different so i just use the valve on the regulator provided with the bottle.

Ron in Nairobi.

I added gas ignition to my second hand performer out here in Kenya. I purchased the parts from a UK based parts supplier. I followed the installation guide provided by Lawrence at http://http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/04/25/weber-grill-mod-adding-gas-assist/ , using the drilling template provided there. Dead simple! I did not bother with a valve as gas bottles here are totally different so i just use the valve on the regulator provided with the bottle.

Ron in Nairobi.

The link doesn't work for me but I'll go find it over there, thanks!

Carl I found a old bowl and lid at the curb yesterday and the bowl is drilled for gas assist.
I could make a template for and send it you if you would like.
PM your address.
Kevin.

Carl I found a old bowl and lid at the curb yesterday and the bowl is drilled for gas assist.
I could make a template for and send it you if you would like.
PM your address.
Kevin.

Wow Kevin, That is incredibly generous & much appreciated since I wasn't able to download the template on the other thread. PM coming, thanks & merry Christmas!

Carl I was a bit busy the last couple days doing nothing, was warm today so I made you that template.
This bowl comes from a old ss performer , thst said bowl face down one end of the template starts from the underside bowl lip, and goes up towards the bowl bottom, but one of the old leg sockets lines up on the centerline of this layout so i used that a reference point .
So lay it on your bowl tap it in place mark the cut outs and you will be ready when your hardware shows up.
The flame tube bolt holes measure out to .265 diameter on my calipers. Strange size so I would not drill till yiur tube and hardware show up.
Hope thus makes sense and helps.
Kevin.

That sounds fantastic, thanks. I've been sick for the last two days so while I recover I'll order some parts, thanks again!

Back