"Compatible" Maverick Probe - No go

Dave Gagnon

Surfing Amazon Prime recently I discovered some aftermarket probes that claim compatibility with the Maverick ET-732/733/735.

Here is the link in case anyone else stumbles on them... https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01MCYFTNX/tvwb-20

They are only $10 as an add-on item for prime members. I hoped they would work but I was unable to get my v4.2 heatermeter to recognize them at all.

I guess you get what you pay for but I was hoping to have a cheaper probe option available.

Hey Dave, you might check to make sure they aren't pushed in too far into the probe sockets. Some of these have a slightly longer shaft than the standard probes and therefore it is possibly to push them in 1/16"-1/8" too far and they stop making contact. Try inserting them slowly and see if they "click" into place before going in all the way and then show a reading. If that doesn't work, also try some of the other probe coefficients as maybe they are mislabeled: ET-732, ET-72/73, or ET-735.

The last set ET-735 are only in the more recent snapshots, but if you're running the stable release of the software you can enter them as "Custom" and paste this into the "A" box 7.5714216e-4,1.8829450e-4,1.4440251e-9

I just had time to troubleshoot this tonight and you were right Bryan. I must have been pushing the probes too far into the jacks. Pull them out about 1/16" and they work fine with the ET-732 setting. So if any of you are prime members and looking for some $10 probes these indeed work.

The solution I use for ET732 probes is to put a short length of heat shrink tubing on the shaft just long enough so that you can't "over-plug" it in.

For the IC R/C guys, I'd also bet that a ring of silicon fuel line tubing would work very nicely as well.

For the IC R/C guys, I'd also bet that a ring of silicon fuel line tubing would work very nicely as well.

I'm using high heat automotive aluminum tape around the cable to probe joint - seals it up nicely and adds much needed strain relief to that junction.

Whew...so glad that these work with the 4.2 HM. I just ordered 2 of them before reading this post.

OP, have you had any chance to use these probes yet? I find that I have one that reads accurately and the other one is about 100 degrees off. I have played with the resistance setting and the probe type to get it close. After that I add in an offset. It seems more reliable at higher temps.

Back