vents open/closed for storage

DChu

when storing the WSM under the cover that comes with it, should the vents be open to closed? I've seen it both ways (closed to prevent rain water from getting in, open to keep it from mold). What is the proper way to store it? thanks.

mine are closed, as they are plugged for ATC usage, but i keep the top open and the door off. It does live under its factory cover.

My kettles and wsm's are stored with vents open, outside, using Weber covers, damp here in the winter but they don't seem to get any mould on the grills or inside the cookers.

I store mine in the garage, vents open. I have my Performer and my Genesis on the patio covered. My garage does smell like the inside of a smoker.

I don't put mine away until it is stone cold...and clean. The bottom vents on my WSM stay closed because I use a Digi. Top vent gets closed, the cover is put on, and it's stored inside the garage.

Tim: LOL! True. I don't have anything in "storage". Everything is just "sitting quietly in the corner waiting to be used again".

It must depend on the location. I live in Michigan and store my smoker in the garage with a contractor's bag over it. All vents are closed. Never had any problem with mold.

Down here in Costa Rica I keep all vents open on my WSM 18" Classic, Weber Mastertouch 22" and Smoky Joe uncovered and outside in my covered patio as mold can creep-up very fast.

I do fire-it-up as least once-a-month in order to keep the critters out as in our area we have big spider(s), scorpions and a snake or two creeping around.

Last edited:
We are in the wet season and I keep the vents open and don't use the cover.
I just have the pieces lying around on my covered veranda (it's just a 14.5" wsm, so doesn't take up much space)
Everything in the house and outside is starting to smell like mushrooms, due to the heavy rains, so I figured, the more air movement, the better....

i live in the mid peninsula in maryland, no such time to store here. we get those breaks in the weather to smoke most anytime. when not in use my WSM's are under the factory covers, (i guess for the aesthetics) but have a contractor trash bag under the weber covers, they leak which allows rain water or melting snow/ice to find its way to the bottom section, no good! there have been times mold will start during the summer, however, there is enough "seasoning" build up that i can scrape what little does show up, off. speaking of, is there an aftermarket cover you might recommend?

Back