New 14.5" WSM Owner

Will H

Picked up a 14.5" for $139 at Wally World (tried to talk em down some but no such luck). Rather than wait for it to sell (last one) I grabbed it. I have had two OTG (gave them to friends who didn't have good charcoal grills) and still have my Weber two burner gasser (wife) and my mini smoky joe silver. I picked this up to be able to have some larger options vs. spending more on a larger Traeger-got it for a steal and added mods but still not my favorite though there are some pro's. It's going up for sale soon and just sticking with charcoal and wood chunks again. No pics yet but rest assured there will be some. :)

For now here's a pic of my mini:

WP_20150405_16_22_32_Pro_zpsdsdaaz1m.jpg

Last edited:
You're going to love the 14.5. I use ours more than the 18.5 and 22.5. Holds temps great and the size of the grate allows me to clean it in our kitchen sink unlike the other two wsm's!!

You will enjoy that 14.5. It's the only WSM I own, for now at least. It has been big enough for everything I've cooked on it so far.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to getting it going. First thing is relocating the heat shield and a terra-cotta heat diffuser vs the water pan. Any other must dos or just fire it up? In the meantime going to try and get my heatermeter updated and working for controlling this one or the mini.

Will, I would change out the stock door with a Cajun bandit door. Heavy duty and stainless. Seals better and just all around looks cool. Enjoy the 14 it's an awesome little cooker.

Thanks Dustin! I've been debating that swap along with a gasket as well as the hinge. I don't think the hinge is majorly needed given the size but open to feedback. My mini doesn't have the hinge but I think it would be nice given I smoke on a deck and have to balance lids on a rail. May try and break her in this weekend.

Back