304 Stainless Steel Top Cooking Grate for 18.5" Weber Smokers

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Please Note: The product originally discussed in this thread is no longer available on Amazon. As a result, I've deleted the links to it.

Best,
Chris

<LINK DELETED>

304 Stainless Steel Top Cooking Grate for 18.5" Weber Smokers

The Upper Cooking Grate that the 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain Deserves

• Heavy Duty 304 Stainless Steel with High Strength Welds
  • 20% Thicker than Standard Grates, 17.5 inch Diameter
  • A Beautiful, Heavy and Long Lasting Upgrade
  • If You Love Your WSM Then You Will Love This Grate.

TVWBB member David Somerville, the guy behind this grate says:

"A question that people are sure to ask is, 'Will a magnetic stick to the grate?' as a way of verifying that the grate is 304 SS.

"The answer is 'just barely'. If you place a regular magnet on the grate you will not think it sticks. However if you really check you will find that a magnet does just barely adhere to the grate.

"The factory had never made a grate this heavy duty before, so they jacked up the current on their welding machines. The increased current imparted just a trace of magnetism to the surface of the steel.

"It's fun to push the boundaries and make something new." :)

yhNvpmq.jpg

David was kind enough to send me one of these grates to try-out. Thanks David!

First impression: Amazon could send in a slightly smaller box!

IMG_7844_zpsadnyn5sp.jpg~original

Second impression: This looks like one well-made grate!

IMG_7845_zps9a21i1cu.jpg~original

First question: I wonder how much this sucker weighs vs. the OEM grate?

IMG_7846_zpscsrzozoa.jpg~original

IMG_7847_zpsusqxc9la.jpg~original

Here's a side-by-side in which you can see thicker rods. David's grate has 26 rods, the OEM 21 rods.

IMG_7848_zpsi5xqc6nw.jpg~original

Looking forward to cooking on it this coming weekend...

The HD SS grates look great!
I would really like to see them made Gourmet style with the removable insert for the 22" kettle, hint hint. :)

Completely agree with Bob. My center insert on my gourmet grate needs to be replaced. Please make these. I would preorder one and pay for it right now.

The HD SS grates look great!
I would really like to see them made Gourmet style with the removable insert for the 22" kettle, hint hint. :)

In the spirit of full disclosure...first time I used this grate, it fell down at an angle toward the water pan. At the time, the cooker was hot and I was trying to wrap aluminum foil around the frenched bones on a beef rib roast while the roast was sitting on the grate. I was rotating the roast and pulling it across the surface of the grate, and the grate shifted and came off one of the grill straps.

Afterwards, I measured the grate. It's 17-3/8" in diameter when measured perpendicular to the grate rods, 17-1/2" measured parallel to the grate rods. The OEM grate measures 17-1/2" in both dimensions. Perhaps this difference played a part in my experience, but when the cooker is cold, I cannot move the grate in any direction that causes it to disengage from any of the grill straps. So maybe it's only possible when the cooker is hot and the middle section has expanded.

Bottom line: Make sure your grate is well seated on the grill straps. Don't work on meat on the grate...it's not a work surface. Don't drag meat across the surface of the grate.

I also purchased one of these grates and I absolutely love it. Mine fits perfectly, and cannot fall off the supports no matter which way I slide it (unless I tip it up on end). I have been holding off on replacing my lower grates because the seller on Amazon indicated they would have lower grates available in February, but I do not see them listed anywhere. Has anyone hear heard anything?

Does this order mixup have anything to do with the ability for the grate to slip down? I need a new top grate, and sometimes you just can't help exerting a little pressure on the food or grate that could cause it to move if there was room to do so.

Does this order mixup have anything to do with the ability for the grate to slip down? I need a new top grate, and sometimes you just can't help exerting a little pressure on the food or grate that could cause it to move if there was room to do so.

I don't think so. I'm the only one that's ever mentioned that issue, as far as I know.

Went to refer this to a friend and it is currently listed as Currently unavailable. Any idea when it might return as available for purchase?

How much did this cost and how does this improve the results of the cook? With the WSM being a smoker as opposed to a grill, the grates are not subjected to high heat and unless the original grates are completely neglected, I just don't see how they will not hold up for a sufficient period of time. Please enlighten me.

Any idea when it might return as available for purchase?
I've sent an email to David asking for a status update on availability.

How much did this cost and how does this improve the results of the cook? With the WSM being a smoker as opposed to a grill, the grates are not subjected to high heat and unless the original grates are completely neglected, I just don't see how they will not hold up for a sufficient period of time. Please enlighten me.

I don't remember the price, maybe someone will chime in. The replacement lower grate is still available for $19.85. <LINK DELETED>

I agree with you that upgrading to S/S grates in the WSM is not a necessity. However, some people do replace their cooking grate from time to time as the original plated finish wears away. I clean my grate with oven cleaner which tends to pit the metal surface over time. So for those needing a replacement, this might be the last replacement grate they'll ever have to buy for their WSM. And Weber has definitely lowered the quality of their replacement grates over the past couple of years, so some people are turning to higher quality replacements.

To be honest, though, having used the stainless grate for a while, lately I find myself reaching for the old original grate simply because it's lighter and easier to wash after cooking because it has fewer rods with wider spacing.

From David Somerville:

"There was not enough interest from the WSM community in the grates to make them a viable ongoing concern. I ended up selling the last of the inventory at a loss just to get them out of the warehouse. I will not be making any more.

"There will be more charcoal baskets towards the end of February. I do not plan on doing any other parts."

Back