Wash/soak post cure for bacon

Daum

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been making Bob's Bacon Made easy for a while and sometimes it comes out a little saltier than I want. I know I can rinse/soak it better to lower it. I've seen people here do everything from a quick rinse to even soaking for 10-30 minutes. Was curious what you do?

Daum

I'm on a low sodium diet and have to watch my intake. I rinse the bacon under running water and then it gets three 20 minute soaks with a change of water each time. That does get a lot of it out and compared to store bought bacon it's way less of a salty taste. The first time I made I just rinsed it and it was way to salty, the soaks really help.
Also the soaking doesn't seem to remove any flavors I cured it with and I always redo the brown sugar /cinnamon / maple syrup etc. before I smoke it.

I fill the bag it was cured in with water, slosh it around, dump it, and repeat 3 or 4 times with no prolonged soak.
Then I rinse it under running water rubbing a hand over the surface, pat dry, then on a rack and back in the fridge uncovered until smoking time.
I like a touch of salt taste on mine and soaking like Rich does can, at least for me, remove pretty much all salt taste.

Ah interesting. I like the salt taste but in the past I've just done a rinse/rub under cold water. I'll have to do with fill/slosh and dump technique a few times. Going to start up a batch of Canadian bacon for New Year's day eggs benedicts later today...and maybe some bacon if costco has a nice looking belly.

Daum

Last edited:
Daum, You may want to try Bobs method first. Because I've been pretty salt free for the last 10 years or so and a little salt goes a long way for me. Even with those three soaks I can detect a slight salty flavor which is just what I want. If your used to salt it may not be enough for you.

Back