Cold weather cooks

Matt Mills

TVWBB Member
I am wondering if I will need to make any modifications or additions to my WSM to cook in near 0 degree temperatures. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You may go through a little more fuel, but that's probably it. As Len said, keep it out of the wind.

I have been using my WSM in the 20's to 30's so far.....Hot cooks only, no water, more fuel and it's doing fine. (Like the others said block the wind)..other than that, it's a little bit more forgiving to catch the temps from varying too much or running away from you in the cold.

I'm doing a cook on the WSM this morning. Temp is 25F. No issues, although it did take a wee bit longer to come up to cook temp. (My WSM is in the old wash-house though, so not effected by wind).

I cooked a 9lb pork shoulder in -10C weather and it didn't take me any longer if it was 25C warmer.

I did my first "cold weather cook". It was mid thirties and misting all day. It was very hard to get to the weber up to temp and keep it there. I was adding hot coals to it the whole time. Once the meat got close to the temp I wanted to the WSM was going way up on temp. A few struggles but the end product turned out amazing. Possibly the best ribs I've cooked yet. Thanks to all for the suggestions and tips. Learning as I go and having a great time with every cook. Thank you to all involved with this site to help both new and seasoned grillers.

I did my first "cold weather cook". It was mid thirties and misting all day. It was very hard to get to the weber up to temp and keep it there. I was adding hot coals to it the whole time. Once the meat got close to the temp I wanted to the WSM was going way up on temp. A few struggles but the end product turned out amazing. Possibly the best ribs I've cooked yet. Thanks to all for the suggestions and tips. Learning as I go and having a great time with every cook. Thank you to all involved with this site to help both new and seasoned grillers.

Yea, I could imagine Fargo bringing a whole nother dimension to cold weather cooks.:)

Tim

Back