A gift for my Dad

SteveMiller

Took some work but It was worth it. Bought it for $35 including a nice tank. Cooking grates are stainless and were in great shape, flavor bars were also in great shape. I ordered a new warming rack and basket for it to finish it off and had the tank filled. This will be replacing his 12 year old walmart special.

The tag on the underside of the control panel says 1989? Is this grill really that old!? ps. I know the folding shelve lower clasp is in the wrong place in the pic, I discovered that last night.

Before:

RIWn

After:

qppe

QlXo

Last edited:
Steve, you should be so proud of the restore you've done, it looks just beautiful. Your Dad is going to be thrilled and very proud of his new grill.

Bill

That is a wonderful restore Steve. Really wonderful thing you are doing for your Dad. That grill will last him a very long time. One thing to watch for is the regulator. I had to replace mine a year after I finished the rehab. That seems to be a recurring problem. No big deal but just be aware of it.

And welcome to the forum. Your first post is a real winner.

Steve, you have created a beautiful work of art!!!!! Your father is going to be so happy with that present; it's personal and it will last for years to come!!! Fantastic work and welcome to the forum!!!!

Great restore Steve. Your dad will get many years of good grilling out of that grill. I still have mine that I bought new 20 years ago and it still works great.

Nice work! I am still looking at a "Bluey Lewey" but the weather has turned against me! My cousin lives just down the road from the guy but, he's been hunting for two weeks! Maybe this weekend!? I hope it looks good.
I may need restoration assistance but, that's OK.

Nice work! What kind of wood did you use for the side table and how did you get the handle so perfect?

Nice work! What kind of wood did you use for the side table and how did you get the handle so perfect?

Thanks for the compliment.

Original wood.

I pressure washed first which took out most of the oil stains and all of the old cedar colored stain. Then I sanded it. I used wood conditioner then one coat of minwax cherry wood colored gel stain. Then five coats of verethane water based floor varnish.

This pic is before the varnish.

goCr

Last edited:
Beautiful work. Your dad will get years of enjoyment out of it. Those older Weber's are great grills. Night and day difference between an older restored weber and a big box grill.

Steve that looks beautiful and I know he'll like it. Good for you and I hope Santa is VERY kind to you this year.

Beautiful work. Your dad will get years of enjoyment out of it. Those older Weber's are great grills. Night and day difference between an older restored weber and a big box grill.

Heck or a new or a new Weber too. IMO new ones don't hold a candle to the old deep fire box (2 row) grills.

Back