Spatchcock turkey on genesis

Wes

Hello,

I am the new owner of a weber genesis and would like to do a spatchcock turkey on it for Christmas day. I have seen articles on cooking it on the kettle but I would like to make sure I am doing it correct on the gas grill (why doesn't weber have an article for this?). We don't want to mess up christmas turkey with the inlaws coming over. My grill has 3 burners running front to back.

1. Should I use just the two outside burners or all 3 on a lower setting?
2. Do I need a drip pan underneath?
3. I was thinking I would run a smoke box just for the initial cooking for just a hint of smoke...does anyone see this as a bad idea?

I plan on wet brining the turkey prior to cooking.

Thank you in advance

1. Should I use just the two outside burners or all 3 on a lower setting?
2. Do I need a drip pan underneath?
3. I was thinking I would run a smoke box just for the initial cooking for just a hint of smoke...does anyone see this as a bad idea?

I'm not sure I would spatchcock the turkey if I were cooking it on the Genesis, that would take up a lot of real estate. If I were to cook it on my Genesis, I would run the two left burners pretty low but I would want the temp to be 300+ degrees in my Genesis. I would place the turkey on the right side of the Genesis, in a turkey pan, you may or maynot want to put it in a rack. I put chunks of wood on my grate in between the two lit burners. Cherry is my go to, they will catch fire, so you may have to add as needed. I'm sure your turkey will be wonderful and your inlaws will be impressed.

I don't have experience doing a spatchcock turkey on the Genesis but I saved a couple potentially noteworthy links while I was contemplating which method to do our Thanksgiving bird. Ultimately, I chose to hang it in our PBC. This link may be of some value to you, and it includes a side link for spatchcock. I recently purchased a rotisserie for our e330, and someday soon I will experiment with spinning one.
http://http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html

Wes, I have cooked spatchcock chickens on my Genesis. And a turkey ain't nothing but a big chicken! Do it over medium/medium low heat, all burners on. Start with the skin side up, and flip when it gets to within 20-30* of doneness. And, yes, use a drip pan! The smoke is optional. Depends on your taste. This should do ya fine!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Good point about it being a big chicken Phil. Thanks again. Going to do a practice one this weekend.

I thought I would post my results in case anyone searches for the same thing. So i did a test turkey that was about 10 lbs and a week later I did the 14.5 bird. Both turned out great. This was on a 3 burner weber genesis. First I spatchcocked the bird and dry brined it in the fridge for about 12 hours. Salt, pepper and then under the skin I put some pats of butter. I put a large foil pan under the grill grates to catch drippings. I turned the right and left burners on med which reads about 325 on the built in thermometer. Instead of worrying about how long to cook I got a weber digitial thermometer at HD and stuck in in the breast and didnt peek until it read 165. Turned out perfect. The smaller bird took just over an hour and the larger bird took about an 1.5 hours. Temp during the day was about 60 here in Atlanta. Make sure you let it rest of 30 min. It is beginner easy.

I used kitchen shears to cut that backbone out. It wasn't easy.

I find that a nice sharp butcher knife (not a carving-type knife) works well when cutting through the "stuff" in there. Maybe try that next time. This is what I use:
HEN-32106200_0.jpeg

It's inexpensive but holds an edge (mine is going on 2 yr now and still it is razor sharp). It's made by Henckel. BUT cutting through bone will dull it. As will any knife.

SIncerely pleased your cook turned out great :)

I may just do a turkey in my Genesis 1000 this year. What fun!

A 14.5 lb bird only takes an hour and a half???

Back