Mac & Cheese

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I came across a recipe for Southern Green Beans and Potatoes with Vidalia Onion and Bacon the other day, saw a reference to Paula Deen's southern cookbook along with the linked author's cookbook, I looked at youtube, and found these two Mac & Cheese recipes - they both seem very rich & probably too calorie dense to me (I've gained >15 pounds weightlifting over the last 7 weeks & I'm not happy with the scale :) )

I also thought of my limited experience with southern foods, the challenge pit's "meat & three", etc, but anyway, what do y'all think? :)

The 4 cheese smoked Mac & Cheese is a family favorite here, however the 15 LBS you gain won't be from the gym / iron pile

Ingredients
•1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
•¼ cup butter
•¼ cup all purpose flour
•3 cups milk
•1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks
•1 teaspoon salt
•½ teaspoon black pepper
•2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
•2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
•1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

This will likely be a Christmas side dish this year

America's Test Kitchen "100 recipes" has another version I need to try.......

15380546_10207975578769223_389791113354857957_n.jpg

Last edited:
The 4 cheese smoked Mac & Cheese is a family favorite here, however the 15 LBS you gain won't be from the gym / iron pile

Ingredients
•1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
•¼ cup butter
•¼ cup all purpose flour
•3 cups milk
•1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks
•1 teaspoon salt
•½ teaspoon black pepper
•2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
•2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
•1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

This will likely be a Christmas side dish this year

I bet not! These are all so rich. Thx for the recipe too - can't wait to try the next version.

Last edited:
I made mac & cheese using the nacho cheese recipe listed above in post # 6

I used a 12oz box of Barilla Pronto "elbows", and 11.2oz of cheese - I intended to only use 8oz of cheese per the nacho cheese recipe but I used the piece I trimmed after weighing the cheese & making the cheese sauce....found out when putting the block back in the fridge... I added ~1/3 cup of sour cream to the cheese sauce when I noticed I'd added extra cheese.

This is very good! I just had another wedge for lunch along with a leftover brat. The noodles were just a touch underdone, not what I'd call like al-dente.....al-dente to me is ready to eat, these noodles still had a slightly starchy/stiff component - edible, but would've been 'off'. They fattened up in the sauce, & I stirred it around enough that a lot of the cheese made it inside of the elbows.

Last edited:
Clint made this one from Johnsonville, it was very good and easy to make.

Grown Up Mac & Cheese

INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups uncooked whole grain elbow macaroni
• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons flour

• 1 cup fat-free milk
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs

• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
• 8 ounces processed American cheese, cubed

• 1 link (half of 13.5 ounce package) JOHNSONVILLE® Smoked or Three Cheese Italian Style Premium Cooking Sausage, quartered and sliced. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.

Directions
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
2. Mix panko, parsley, and olive oil together in a bowl.
3. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
4. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk.
5. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
7. Stir in macaroni and sausage.
8. Spread panko mixture on top and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
9. Enjoy

Here's another one that looked interesting but I haven't tried it yet.

Beer Macaroni & Cheese Recipe

Ingredients
• 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
• 1/4 cup butter
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon ground mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon pepper
• 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
• 3/4 cup amber beer
• 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
• 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
• 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
• 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
• 2 tablespoons minced chives
• 5 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Directions
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in the milk, beer and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Reduce heat. Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese, fontina cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese until melted. Add chives.
4. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Top with crumbled bacon. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.

Last edited:
Chef Leslie's Iron Skillet Smoked Mac & Cheese

and yet...Another recipe!!! :cool:

Chef Leslie's Iron Skillet Smoked Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:
2 TBS Unsalted Butter
2 TBS All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 LB Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
1/2 LB Monterey Jack Cheese (Shredded)
1 Cup Mayo
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 TBS Frank's Hot Sauce
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Fine Ground Black Pepper
12-16 oz. Package Elbow Macaroni
1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs (Plain)
16 0z. (1 Package) Sliced Bacon

Directions. (Pre-heat Smoker or Oven to 350, cook uncovered for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until GBD (Golden, Brown & Delicious)
1. Oil or Grease Iron Skillet and set aside
2. Cook Elbow Macaroni (1 MINUTE LESS) than what is required for Al Dente as per package instructions, then drain.
3. Cook all bacon and drain. Crumble bacon and mix with the Panko; set aside.
4. Melt butter (preferably in a non stick sauce pot) and add flour to make a Roux. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes to cook out the flavor of flour. Add heavy cream and incorporate 1/2 cup at a time to the Roux. Cook for about an additional 4 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add cheese; stirring until all melted. You can place back on low heat to help melt.
6. When melted, mix in mayo, sour cream, hot sauce, salt, garlic and pepper.
7. Add this mixture over the Macaroni noodles and mix well. For this entire mixture into the iron skillet.
8. Top this with the Panko/Bacon Mixture and Smoke or Bake!

Enjoy!!!!!

Last edited:

Back