When is it time to replace the cooking grate and how to best care for it?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I have a couple Q100 grills. Both have grates that are probably over the hill. But, I was wondering if I really should replace them now or can I wait.
Also, how can I keep the grates from corroding through the porcelain coating? I guess, a better question, is how exactly should I be cleaning the grill after each use? I have seen and read dozens of ways and they vary widely. Some say to heat the grill up to max and use a wire brush and dunk it in water and then scrape the grill. Others say it should be cold before scraping. Some say scrape it dry. What works best to keep the grate serviceable the longest.

I just turn the heat off and spray with pam. If it bad I wire it clean with a ss brush. Then spray with pam. Befor cooking I heat up the grate and wipe with paper towels and pam till decently clean. Just before cooking I spray pam on the grate. So fsr so good.

Well, this is the grate on the Q100 that I am using now. This photo shows the worst area on the grate. The porcelain is pretty much gone over the top of the grate, expecially in that area.

grill%20grate_zpsu1wl1wxo.jpg

Get it really hot. Brush it really well and wipe it down (while hot) with oil or fat of some kind. Lots of life in that thing. Alternative, if you have power tools, get a wire cup brush or such and go to town on that grate until clean. Wipe it clean with oil and heat it up, wipe it down again, allow to cool. Done. Nicely seasoned cast iron. Or find a sandblaster in your area have it blasted and reseason it

My 2 series 300s need new grills like yours Bruce. Luckily I own some GrillGrates which I place over the rusty cast grates for most of my cooks. This prolongs purchasing 300 grates that are around $60 for the time being. I know that sooner or later I will bite the bullet and order the new grates. For now, the GrillGrates solve the problem pretty well.

So, you guys are saying that even after the porcelin has flaked off in spots, it is still fine to continue to use the grates?

Where is a good place to buy replacements? Certainly, I could order from Weber.com direct, but like most manufacturing sources, they charge a premium over third party retail sites.

Some stores are weber dealers. I have two within 35 miles. But really, put some elbow grease to that and then keep it oiled and it will last a long time. The original coating were not well done and most everyone had issues including me. Thus my statements above.

Mine are looking like yours Bruce. Nothing like biting into a good old chunk or porcelain/cast iron to finish off the BBQing experience.:mad:

RParker:
That isn't so good for dental health, but your medical doctor probably won't be prescribing any extra Iron in your vitamin regiment.

I have gotten better at cleaning them after use and spraying them with cooking spray. It seems to help a lot. When I clean them, it tends to show the places that there is iron or porcelain flaking off. I just make sure I scrape those areas to remove any loose chunks. I am hoping that by faithfully cleaning after every use, the porcelain and grates overall will wear better. Even with poor maintenance, I have always gotten many good years out of a grate. As long as there are no breaks in the grate, I keep using them.

It seems like the front right corner of most of my weber q qrills is the area that seems to deteriorate the quickest. I have one grill that has a small corner section out of it. That is the grill that I use for camping, but I am looking to switch to a newer electric Q that I recently acquired. I am not sure if I will keep the old gas Q100 for parts or replace the grate. It is otherwise a great Q100 that is a good ten years plus old.

Back