Low and Slow on the Weber Gasser

Robert C

Hey Guys,
Usually do pulled pork on the Performer which comes out great. But I just saw a really interesting recipe for a pork shoulder at 18hrs in a home oven at 225.
It has a lot of salt, fresh garlic, and herbs on the exterior. I do not want the smoke flavor for this so no chips in the smoker box on the Weber 310.Thought I would drop the shoulder in an aluminum pan with small rack. Dial it in to 250 or so and let it roll. Any thoughts on this on experience for similar cook?
Thanks,
Robert C

Robert, do you plan to go by just time and grill temp, or will you be monitoring internal meat temperature as well?

It might be hard to run a gasser at 225 / 250? I know mine won't. It would hit 300+ in the first hour and never drop below that

Monitor internal temp with wireless remote.Depending on the size of the Butte probably won't go that long.

ChuckO, Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out later today and if mine is the same as yours it is on to Plan B!

my summit 420 will get down to those temperatures without an issue. if anything, its slightly underpowered as it does take a while to get up to temp. that's really my only complaint of the grill other than the drip tray setup isn't right and likes to catch fire if I don't do a detail cleaning at much too high of rate.

I have made ribs on mine and have had people fall in love with them.

To keep the temp low I run it with only the front burner going, back two turned off. Keeps it just over 200 for a long time, 9-10 hours. When I do it this way I finish it by cranking the heat for I guess the rib version of a reverse sear.

My Weber Genesis will hold 225 degrees with one burner. I tried preheating with only one burner and it took forever to come up to temperature. Now I start it on 3-burner high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes to get the box thoroughly heated, then turn off 2 burners and the temperature will drop and hold at around 250 fairly quickly, with a little tweaking of the burner's dial.

Back