Looking for some guidance on casings

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Decided to try making some brats but I've never used casings before. I thought I would go to my forum family and see if I could get some guidance from you guys and gals.

I would like to know what you think are the best casings to use for a newbie and where to get them.

I will be using a Kitchen aid mixer with the sausage adapter, I know that isn't the best device for stuffing casings but it's what I have.

Also smoking temps and how long to smoke them would be helpful.

Any tips, advice, warnings will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rich

The kitchen aid stuff will work fine. Keep everything cold. I bought the deweid casings from amazon. They work great. Butchers will sometimes have them. As far as smoking I prefer hot smoked at 225. You can warm smoke at 150 for a few hours and up it to 180 to finish if you add cure. If you aren't curing. Just hot smoke. They are fantastic that way. Cook them to at least 150. 165 works well too.

The kitchen aid stuff will work fine. Keep everything cold. I bought the deweid casings from amazon. They work great. Butchers will sometimes have them. As far as smoking I prefer hot smoked at 225. You can warm smoke at 150 for a few hours and up it to 180 to finish if you add cure. If you aren't curing. Just hot smoke. They are fantastic that way. Cook them to at least 150. 165 works well too.

Thanks Dustin that's what I was looking for.

Rich.. I use hog casings. They have a decent selection at Sportsman's Warehouse. Looks like you have one in Prescott.

Rich.. I use hog casings. They have a decent selection at Sportsman's Warehouse. Looks like you have one in Prescott.

Thanks Cliff, that store just opened this year and I haven't been over in that part of town so I haven't gone there yet. I'll go check it out.

Back