Boneless Turkey Breast

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
Decided to try a boneless breast, gave it a shot yesterday.

special thanks to LenDennis and PhilP for some pre-cook advice on timing and temps.

Brined it for 24 hours in a water / salt / Worcestershire / minced garlic / minced onion mix, then pulled it out and injected it.

For the injection, I used clarified butter with some seasoning mixed in. It is a rub I found at Pike Place Market in Seattle. Delicious !!!

20161203_103430_zpsoxrnrj3a.jpg

20161203_103439_zpsuvhxk4fa.jpg

Last edited:
It was a nice 10# breast, came pre-tied from the purveyor. You can see little bursts of the butter injections leaking out.

Side note, my brother-in-law runs one of the biggest meat and poultry purveyors in NYC (for example, they provide the meat to Peter Luger) so I am VERY lucky when I want to try something new.

20161203_160237_zpsrtyw3jy5.jpg

Used the leftover butter / rub mix as a baste during the cook, here is the breast resting and about to be sliced.

20161203_211240_zpsopyiq7fp.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sliced, nice smoke ring, ready to get plated

20161203_212618_zps2ehrvvde.jpg

Plated, with some mashed, stuffing, mac & cheese, and brussels (really good - with apples and chopped pecans) ready to GET IN MY BELLY !!!!

20161203_212622_zpsyxmsliqf.jpg

All in all, very good. Fought temps all afternoon, wanted to go at 350 but really had trouble getting it much above 300. Don't know if it made a difference in the meat, just took a little longer. Which was ok, because I tried making a martini for the first time, which was also excellent, had time to practice on a second one......

The meat tasted very good, glad I took Phil's advice to go careful on the rub, actually didn't use any other than what was in the injection / baste. I have a friend who is a professional chef, he wants to come over today and experiment on some day 2 sandwiches. Hoping he brings his panini press......

Great looking cook Brian. Really want to try a turkey breast but haven't been able to find any that aren't pre cooked or seasoned and injected. Will keep trying. Yours looks really good.

Agreed, Bob, they are hard to find. I looked forever, no luck.
Fortunately my wife thought to ask her brother, might have never found it otherwise.

Just checked with the local high end butcher that we get our Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas hams and they have the natural unseasoned and uninjected breasts. Will probably go with the bone in for the added flavor. I first went to Jim's Fallbrook Market when I was about 5 years old and that was 62 years ago. Glad I called them so I can finally try a turkey breast.

Agreed, Bob, they are hard to find. I looked forever, no luck.
Fortunately my wife thought to ask her brother, might have never found it otherwise.

Always good to go to the old classics, Bob. Places like Costco, etc, are very good for normal cuts, but for something unique it's good to have a good butcher.

Good luck !!

I used to manage a country club on LI,,, dealt with most of the higher-end meat purveyors. Been away for 24 years.

Back