Used 18" on CL, worth buying?

ZakM

New here. I hope to purchase my first smoker soon. Before buying new, I thought about looking at what's available used. I found a 18" locally for $180. https://neworleans.craigslist.org/hsh/5897281092.html. Based on the pictures, it looks like it's in decent condition. Some questions I'm hoping yall can help me with.

What should I look for to make sure the condition is acceptable?

Are there any parts that typically fail/wear out?

Is $180 a good deal?

What are some "must have" accessories?

Thanks.

Very reasonable. You could look for a long time and maybe save a few dollars, but would the wait be worth saving only a few $$ even if you found one for less. It looks in good condition and clean with little use. Just make sure the sections fit together good, but even if not, it very easy to bend/shape the sections to make them fit. I would say get it and enjoy using a WSM.

Agree with jfortson. That looks to be in very good condition and for the price, looks to be a good deal. Go for it!!

Zak, I would be the one to disagree with the previous posts. First, let me say that if you feel good about the asking price of $180, then by all means go for it. I notice that the poster never says the the price is firm, so I would offer them $130, with all expectations of getting it for $150. I don't know how often WSM's are available or listed in you area, or how bad you want one. those 2 factors play a huge role as to when you jump on a deal. Myself, I was without a ism for almost 4 months earlier this year...I sold my 18.5" on CL and held out until I found the deal I was hoping for on a 22". I passed on several deals, and finally got a 2015 22" for......$100. The key was that I was able to wait it out and hold out until I came across a good deal. If you want it, throw them an offer. If they are listed frequently and you think a better deal may be had, then old out.
Good Luck, and keep us posted,
Tim

That is good advice Tim. I have always assumed that prices on Craigslist are always negotiable. Have been looking for a 14.5 WSM in SoCal and haven't seen one for a while or close enough.

Price is OK, not great, but it's $120 less than a new one.

FWIW, I paid $150 for an 18.5" and the guy through in 7 bags of lump charcoal and a chimney.

ON CL the big factor I look at is how long it has been for sale. If it's just been posted negotiating puts you in a bad position. If its been for sale for a month, then by all means. If something is a good deal DO NOT DELAY as it will be gone quick.
If I sell something for a reasonable price and people try to low ball me I just say, "Well it's just been posted, I'll take your name and call you back in a week if it's still for sale." Almost always that will close a sale.

Back