Boneless turkey breast question

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
Ok, so going to smoke a boneless turkey breast today.

Totally going by the seat of my pants, brined it, injected it and going on the kettle some time today.

Which leads me to my questions:
Temp- have seen recommendations to go 225-250 as well as going at 350. I'm fine either way, does anyone have a strong case for one over the other.

Timing - the breast is 10 pounds, want to eat around 7pm, so I'm trying to count backwards to a start time. At either temp, does anyone know how many minutes per pound?

Thanks. If it comes out good, will post pics. If not, I will hide in shame and serve cocktails until the guests don't notice.....

2.5-3 hr at 325o. Consider rolling/tying it into a roast shape for more consistent cooking/results. Watch the temps as there is little to no fat to render. Using your instant read thermo, take it to 165o internal.

Awesome, thanks a ton Len.
It came wrapped and tied, so going to leave it as is for the cook.
Hoping it turns out good (will keep the Maverick in it for the temp)
Luckily we have friends who are willing to be guinea pigs for my experiments!!

If you feel more comfortable, smoke it an hour (or two) before you want it to be ready. Remove it when it hits the temp and wrap it in foil (leak proof tight) and then a blanket and put the whole thing in your (unused) microwave. That whole package will stay hot for a couple of hours or till you're ready to eat.

Google for "faux cambro"--using a cooler warmed with hot water will do the same thing but I think using the microwave is easier (ie less work ;) ) unless you're using the micro for other cooking.

If you use a blanket, keep in mind it will have a nice smoky aroma so either a) don't care or b) use an old blanket.

When I did my first boneless turkey breast, I left it flat, ran it at 270-300ish, it took maybe 3 hours. Turned out really well, so I'm going to say it's probably more forgiving than you might fear.

But I WAY overdid it on the rub. Big time. Note to self: if you use rub, go easy on it.

I usually take it to an internal temperature of 155F. Carry over heat will push it up to the mid-160s which is what you want.

Back