BBQ Guru ATCs - Which one?

Gary London

TVWBB Super Fan
PartyQ, DigiQ or CyberQ?

I am very tempted to buy one of these. Which one though?

I like the idea of WiFi on the CyberQ and using a smartphone app. Costs more though.

Any thoughts?

I have the DigiQ. Also kind of wanted the CyberQ, but for me the DigiQ works just fine. If you are wanting to be away from home for long periods of time, say cooking a pork butt, the CyberQ would be useful verifying temps. For me, I cook a lot more brisket than pork, and usually do it overnight. The DigiQ works great holding a steady temp, and my experience is that my WSM runs longer and more efficient with it. I'm comfortable leaving for a few hours with it, and I'm sure it would work great running all day while I was at work. The WiFi feature is there for extra piece of mind, but probably not necessary. That said, I still think it's a cool feature and the tech geek in me wishes I had it lol. If you are interested and good with spending the extra coin, go for it. But more than likely you'll also be happy with the DigiQ.

You are right Matt. I think the DigiQ is going to be good enough to be left to do its job. It's just the geeky extra stuff in the CyberQ that is tempting.

I got a great deal on a PartyQ a couple years back and it's worked great on my 18.5" WSM. I especially like the battery power; it's very convenient for camping or just not having to run an extension cord out to the patio. Eventually, I'm planning to build a HeaterMeter to feed the inner geek, but for now, the little PartyQ gets the job done.

The three meat probes was definitely a consideration. Not for competing but just for cooking more than one lump of meat at the same time.

All three are great. I love my CyberQ...but have recommended the PartyQ to two friends who love theirs as well. They just pair it up with their Mavericks and run two meat probes.

I think PartyQs are or were on sale recently for $99 - heck of a deal.

All three are great. I love my CyberQ...but have recommended the PartyQ to two friends who love theirs as well. They just pair it up with their Mavericks and run two meat probes.

I think PartyQs are or were on sale recently for $99 - heck of a deal.

Damn, I missed it. I've been looking for a second PartyQ.

Well I ordered the the CyberQ Universal kit from BBQ Guru Europe via Amazon. It arrived from Germany 2 days after dispatch on 14th Dec. Just a box of bits in bubble wrap, no retail packaging.
They accidentally sent me 3 grate sensors instead of one I think. No instructions at all but the BBQ Guru site has all the manuals which are pretty easy to understand.

72F94A1C-8A8C-4C80-BB13-97E0685880A2_zpsydyx54sf.jpg

2A2DAB1B-5A38-4427-AD06-A690D329C0CB_zpsvmepi5nv.jpg

Bit fiddly to start with trying to navigate through the menu using the buttons on the Cyberq box. The dot matrix display is clunky and very retro but once you have the Wifi set up you can use smart phone, ipad, or PC.

A simple change on my router and a test on the iPhone and the remote access was set up.

I bought the Pit Pal app which is very easy to set up and lets you keep a really detailed log of your cook.

Need to sort out some leaks and install the adaptor then give it a go.

Gary, congratulations on your new purchase! Please let me know what you think of the CyberQ as after reading Timothy's post including the review link I have narrowed my choices down to either the Cyber Q or the Stoker II..decisions decisions!!!!

Used the CyberQ for the first time on Christmas Eve.
Managed to get some self adhesive Nomex felt gasket to seal up the door and lib leaks. These gaskets are hard to find in the U.K. for some reason. This one is a replacement for the BGE XL.

CD7C465D-A908-48A9-BA4C-4DCA8EF238A9_zpsigbjsqre.jpg

Around the door opening after a good clean up with the wife's nail varnish remover.

ED57EB58-2338-48EC-B2F5-AE8E1D1E0232_zpswaz0umol.jpg

I thought I could put the full width around the top of the mid section bending it around the top vertical lip and the horizontal ledge that the lid sits on. It's too thick though and the lid didn't fit.
I had to cut it in half and scrape it off the vertical lip. Wasted some felt but I have enough left to replace it a couple more times if I cut it in half lengthways before sticking it.

8F1E0162-312A-4082-BD86-F1B4947EEA3F_zps0apafzd2.jpg

C6119431-BC71-491F-ACDC-7DB59C04783D_zpspyhbesok.jpg

Then onto the adaptor for the fan.

Tape up three holes. Then fitted the draft inducer and deflector plate. Then taped around the edge of the vent. The gap around the edge opens up when the draft inducer is tightened up.

A3835210-89C5-4C65-86C8-6AF38BCEEFB4_zpsjfvwcbza.jpg

3E9D7EFE-1850-447C-9919-E6A8E53D2EB0_zpsfmatzeh8.jpg

8D3897B8-8BD9-4982-A1C1-9CE335532211_zpsm13ensrr.jpg

Anyone spot the error?

Tried it out with a couple of racks of ribs. Set at 230f and not meat probe. Full load of Aussie Heat Beads, about 15 lit briqs to get it going. Left the damper on the Pit Viper fully open.

Opened up the other two vents and let the temp get up to 220f before closing the two normal vent and let the Cyberq do its stuff.

Took a total of 1 hour 15 mins to get to the point I could put the ribs on and even then I got impatient and put them on at 225f
Then took an hour to get back up to 225f. Then eventually 230f and pretty steady until I wrapped the ribs. After putting them back the temp recovered quickly and spike at 245f then oscillated a bit.
Got better and more steady after unwrapping and some mopping action.

After the ribs I decided to cook a small gammon. Put the meat probe in and aimed for 167f IT. Tried to get it to run grate at 257f but the fan ran at 100% and couldn't get to even 250f. It took hours!
Had plenty of fuel left. Gave it a stir which helped.

Ribs and Gammon were good. Fixed the installation problem next day. Hopefully that will improve it next time. Will definitely let it get to target temp before letting Cyberq take over.
Pit Pal app is really useful.

We have used almost all BBQ guru and stoker. Both have their strengths . The stoker I only like using when connected to a computer for ease of use. The BBQ gurus for me are easier to use without a PC or smart phone Then the stoker. I believe the temps on the stoker are more accurate. I use our CyberQ the most. The extra meat probes when you need them are great

Anyone spot the error?

Tried it out with a couple of racks of ribs. Set at 230f and not meat probe. Full load of Aussie Heat Beads, about 15 lit briqs to get it going. Left the damper on the Pit Viper fully open.

Opened up the other two vents and let the temp get up to 220f before closing the two normal vent and let the Cyberq do its stuff.

Took a total of 1 hour 15 mins to get to the point I could put the ribs on and even then I got impatient and put them on at 225f
Then took an hour to get back up to 225f. Then eventually 230f and pretty steady until I wrapped the ribs. After putting them back the temp recovered quickly and spike at 245f then oscillated a bit.
Got better and more steady after unwrapping and some mopping action.

After the ribs I decided to cook a small gammon. Put the meat probe in and aimed for 167f IT. Tried to get it to run grate at 257f but the fan ran at 100% and couldn't get to even 250f. It took hours!
Had plenty of fuel left. Gave it a stir which helped.

Ribs and Gammon were good. Fixed the installation problem next day. Hopefully that will improve it next time. Will definitely let it get to target temp before letting Cyberq take over.
Pit Pal app is really useful.

What was the error, I am missing it?

What was the error, I am missing it?

I didn't fully read the instructions for the adpator/deflector and I pointed the opening sideways as in the picture.
I struggled to get the temps up. I then read the manual properly and it said to point the deflector opening downwards so it blows the air under the grate, instead of around the edge.
I have re-positioned it but haven't run it again yet so need to see if it makes a difference, especially to get it to run hotter if I need to.

I didn't fully read the instructions for the adpator/deflector and I pointed the opening sideways as in the picture.
I struggled to get the temps up. I then read the manual properly and it said to point the deflector opening downwards so it blows the air under the grate, instead of around the edge.
I have re-positioned it but haven't run it again yet so need to see if it makes a difference, especially to get it to run hotter if I need to.

In my experience, it doesn't make much of a difference. I just make sure it's not pointing upward and have never had issues reaching/maintaining temps.

That was my thinking too but hoping it works better pointing under the grate. I'm looking for a reason it didn't achieve the higher temps I had set.

I know the fan is blowing but I don't know how well it is blowing.

Anyone know how to test it for CFM?

Maybe a plastic bag of a known capacity and see how quickly it inflates it?

Back