Buy 2016 or 2017 Weber gas grill?

Bill Martin

Help!

I am no where near the BBQ aficionado of any of you. I am looking to buy my first "nice" BBQ and really want a Weber. Money isn't really an object, but it's always an object (make sense?). Meaning I'll pay $1200+ for the new Genesis II if it's a good idea, but I don't want to waste a couple hinder bucks either.
So here's my dilemma, should I get the 2016 S-300 (I want all SS grill etc), or one of the new 2017's? I don't care for or need the enclosed base, but SS grill etc is required for me. It's still not clear (at least to me) what comes with the 2017 open cart BBQs.
Or would it be best for me to just bite the bullet and buy the smallest Summit?
All of your help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Frankly Bill why not just hold off until someone actually buys one of the new ones, sets it up, posts REAL photos (not Weber company ones), and cooks with it for awhile. From personal experience (my sister and BIL bought one of the new"er" front control Genesis models) and I'm not impressed with it after using it a few times. My "issues". Grates are spaced so widely that it's easy to lose food between them. I'm sorry but 5/8" is just too much here. It cooks "OK" but certainly no better if not even as well as the good old fashioned design Genesis III I own and my dad owns. Certainly not as versatile towards cooking options like rotisserie. Honestly I think the "sweeter" spot in the lineup for that size is the Summit 470 though like anything Weber seems to be selling nowadays seems wildly over priced IMO. But then again you indicate $$$$ is no object. I think the Summit 470 is really just a close price point to the new LX series of Genesis. But again in all fairness I would hold out for someone to post AFTER their "honeymoon" period on the new series. Honestly just my $00.02 worth

I would go with the proven Summit if you wanted a gasser. In the genesis II thread i posted two links back to back of equivalently priced and featured grills in each line.

Why you want stainless steel? Newer webers are not 304 grade stainless steel anymore. (still stainless 430 grade, just not as durable as old). Also the carts are still regular painted steel. To upgrade to stainless you're only upgrading the BBQ hood and doors. Regular porcelain material is WAY more durable and will be the only part that looks brand new and shiny in 15 years.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?67857-New-for-2017-Weber-Genesis-II-Gas-Grills/page13

4 burner summit or 4 burner genesis? same price!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Sum...1001/202176248
or
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Gen...4001/300170109

I see Lmichaels point about waiting for some reviews on the new genesis before purchasing. But for me a point in favor of the new genesis would be the availability of an open cart bottom. After restoring and using 2 older genesis with the open cart I wouldn't willingly go back to an enclosed cart. The open design is just so much cleaner and easier to maintain in my opinion.

Easier to maintain = YES

Aesthetically pleasing? = Not as much

I like the storage it gives me for extra drip pans, gloves, and paper towls ect..

I love being able to just hose down my Performer bottom shelf where i only store wire racks and some other cooking pans/tools. The charcoal bin keeps thins that can't get wet or that would blow away.

I see Lmichaels point about waiting for some reviews on the new genesis before purchasing. But for me a point in favor of the new genesis would be the availability of an open cart bottom. After restoring and using 2 older genesis with the open cart I wouldn't willingly go back to an enclosed cart. The open design is just so much cleaner and easier to maintain in my opinion.

Easier to maintain = YES

Aesthetically pleasing? = Not as much

I like the storage it gives me for extra drip pans, gloves, and paper towls ect..

I love being able to just hose down my Performer bottom shelf where i only store wire racks and some other cooking pans/tools. The charcoal bin keeps thins that can't get wet or that would blow away.

Aesthetically pleasing is entirely subjective. I much prefer the "retro cool" look of my older genesis grills with their open bottom. To each his own.

I have both a Summit 450 (closed bottom) and Genesis III open bottom. MUCH better having the cabinet down there. Allows me to store things out of the weather and out of sight. Much more aesthetic

I bought my Ginny in like 07 or 08 the east, west burner model, although i do not use it much any more it is still a great grill. I mostly use it in like January the cold winter months it heats up fast holds heat pretty good, the big thing about Weber's is they last, so what i am saying it really makes no difference what year you buy as long as you like it , do basic maintenance on them and they will last a long time.

If you think you may want to buy a 2016, you better do it quick. The websites are starting to say out of stock.

I hit Home Depot and Lowes this week. They only had a couple, but they were marked down or willing to discount.

I ended up buying a Genesis E-330 NG in Espresso color with side-burnerfor $473.30 plus tax. They knocked off 20%, and there was a $100 off from Weber deal.

Back