Stoker II

WilliamD

TVWBB Fan
Toying with the idea of purchasing a Stoker II. Anyone have any thoughts on this (good or bad) for the WSM??? Thanks!

Toying with the idea of purchasing a Stoker II. Anyone have any thoughts on this (good or bad) for the WSM??? Thanks!

I don't know if you have made your decision yet but here is my 2 cents.
I had one of the early versions of the Stoker, and upgraded to the Stoker II for the built in WiFI. It works well, but I was hoping the Stoker II would have more horsepower under the hood or better firmware but i can't tell much difference.
I did try the CyberQ before i upgraded to the Stoker II, but was unimpressed with that as well.

The probes are a bit fragile and expensive to replace. I have 3 dead ones right now. out of a total of 10 i had purchased with the original unit or as replacements.
The nice thing is there is no (that i know of) limit to the number of probes it will run. However i did not have much luck making extensions for the probes, seems like a power loss issue. So the Stoker must be near the Smoker.

The lack of workable PC based Web Interface is the real disappointment. The best thing I have found is Stokerlog. It and and Stoker-Web were were developed by people from this site. I'm sure this was driven by the horrible native interface of the Stoker.

I use StokerLog every time i cook. It was developed by Amir, and he has indicated there MAY be a update/face-lift somewhere in the future, but no promises.https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21889-Stokerlog-7-0-Release ...see pg 15

Stoker-web requires a server of some type to run. i tried it once but settled back with Stokerlog. But it worked well when i had it running
There are some Android apps but none provide the overview afforded by StokerWeb.
I'm not a Mac guy so i cant speak to the Mac options.

Both these programs developers, as well as Rocks BBQ, seem to have given up on development of any better interface. Other than the indication by Amir that he might do something new someday.

Overall it does what it says, and makes overnight cooks easy and stress free. With StokerLog running on a laptop and if anything goes out of range the alarm will wake me up to deal with it.

Let's just say I'm happier with the pitmaster IQ... it's a bit more durable even if it doesn't have as many features as the Stoker

Thanks for the input gentleman.....Yeah I picked up the Stoker 2...I'm really impressed with the probes and the ability to calibrate every probe individually and also name them and the unit recognizes that. I'm not impresses however with what I call "the dog water bowl" design for the inlet to the WSM. I think BBQ Guru has the right idea there. So far the interface seems pretty easy but like you stated Jeff, it seems Stokerlog is the only game in town for the unit now. Overall pleased with the unit so far. Thanks again fellows for the input; much appreciated.

Back