Proud owner of a new 22 WSM

Long Nguyen

TVWBB Member
On Friday, I purchased a new 22 WSM. Got the smoker, and a chimney, but forgot the Kingsford briquettes..... Hopefully I'll have a weekend to use it soon. Maybe a smoked tri tip is in the future.

Awesome purchase Luke and good luck with the WSM!!!! Post some pics of your (I'm Sure to be Delicious) results!!!

Cajun Bandit. Some folks swear by it and sealing gaskets. Some believe very little needs to be done straight out of the box. YMMV.

I have had my 22" WSM for 3-4 years and it is stock with the exception of the fire ring being attached to the charcoal grate with stainless steel zip ties.
Works great for me (I am a low & slow cook). I cook with a empty foiled water pan to minimize clean up.

I am in the it doesn't need improvement camp but I can see how it is fun to customize it.

Before I spent the $$ on a Cajun Bandit door (there are just enough reports of it being a less than perfect fit to keep it from being a no brained) I would trick up the stock door with a custom fit silicone seal.
Just get some automotive high heat RTV, if the WSM is not brand new clean a 1-2 inch perimeter on the door real good.
Liberally spray the body of the WSM with cooking spray, put a thick bead of RTV on perimeter of the door and lock it in place. The RTV will squish and form a perfect seal.
Once the RTV has cured remove the door and trim any squeeze out off the edge of the door, if it squishes into the opening in the body trim that edge back so the door does not have to be perfectly aligned every time you close it.
If you are scared of glueing the door on permanently use some Glad wrap sprayed with cooking oil between the RTV and the body.
Same methodology will work to make a seal for the top section.

I recommend using it and finding out if it needs any modification.

Back