Thanksgiving Turkey on the Kettle!

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

I wound up dragging my OTS converted to OTG to my mother's house so I could cook the turkey this year.

My setup.

I used about half a chimney of KBB in the baskets with some chunks. I didn't run into a problem with the baskets clogging because the turkey only took about 1 1/2 hours to cook at 13lbs.

Turkey was rubbed with Kosmos Q Dirty Bird and brined 24 hours with the apple brine recipe.

Had no problem keeping a steady 350 even with some wind.

The finished product. I forgot to put a shield on the breast or ice it so the dark meat wound up being the same temp as the white meat but it was still delicious. I know what to do next year.

Sliced up bird.

This little guy enjoyed the feast!

Happy Thanksgiving! Maybe next year my Aggies will win!

Sounds like a great cook Dustin. The pics aren't showing up on my end. Clicked on one of the links and it says there is a photobucket issue.

Dustin, I used to do the traveling kettle thing, too, then I just sniped a cheapie on CL to keep at mom's! :)

Good looking grub you cooked up there, and it appears to have gotten your son's seal of approval!

Rich

Great use of the Weber, more proof that great food can be produced from a simple old kettle.

Gig'em Aggies.

Pics are showing up now. That is a great looking cook and the pic of the little guy is priceless. Congrats.

Your Kettle Turkey looks perfect Dustin. I had hoped to cook mine on the kettle, but I blew last year's turkey and I was out numbered in votes for cooking it on the WSM. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever get the green light for Kettle Thanksgiving Turkey again, but I've been cleared to do our "lunch meat" turkeys on the kettles. Love the photo of your son chowing down

Another Great looking Thanksgiving day Bird!!!! Thanks for sharing the family pics as well.....All the Best!!!

Back