Help! Skinless Turkey Breasts

John W

TVWBB Member
Hi All! I bought a few boneless turkey breasts from Whole Foods, but when I opened them just now to pop into the brine, the skin is only covering about 1/3rd of the turkey breast in the mesh, or completely missing.

I'm worried about putting these on the WSM the way I usually do bone-in breasts -- 290-300 degrees for about 2-3 hours. I noticed that the main boneless recipe on this site has the skin removed too, but I have smoked skinless chicken breasts in the past and the outside is always tough and rubbery.

Does anyone have any methods for high-heat smoking skinless/boneless turkey breasts (mesh footballs) where the meat is still juicy and the outside doesn't turn into jerky? I've heard about wrapping it in bacon, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Or, will it turn out fine with a 24-hour brine? Would low & slow (230-250) be better than high-heat (290-300)?

Thanks for your time!

Hi All! I bought a few boneless turkey breasts from Whole Foods, but when I opened them just now to pop into the brine, the skin is only covering about 1/3rd of the turkey breast in the mesh, or completely missing.

I'm worried about putting these on the WSM the way I usually do bone-in breasts -- 290-300 degrees for about 2-3 hours. I noticed that the main boneless recipe on this site has the skin removed too, but I have smoked skinless chicken breasts in the past and the outside is always tough and rubbery.

Does anyone have any methods for high-heat smoking skinless/boneless turkey breasts (mesh footballs) where the meat is still juicy and the outside doesn't turn into jerky? I've heard about wrapping it in bacon, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Or, will it turn out fine with a 24-hour brine? Would low & slow (230-250) be better than high-heat (290-300)?

Thanks for your time!
If it were I, I would remove all the skin from the breasts if they're only covering 1/3rd of the breasts. I would oil them with a good olive oil and put some rub on (you can't go wrong with salt, pepper & garlic) I'd cook them at 325-350 and pull them off when they hit 160 internal. Let them rest for a 1/2 hour or so, but don't foil them for the rest period. That should give you some juicy meat with a nice crust

Have a happy Thanksgiving

Or just smoke them at 225-250. Those breasts and roasts(combo white and dark meat) are excellent when smoked.

Back