Cold Weather Cue

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
Looking at the weekend forecast it appeared that Saturday would be just right for my first slabs of ribs of 2010. Sunny and 40 degrees. Now it looks as if we'll have raw northwest winds gusting to 30mph. Since I don't have a wind-break of any kind nor any spare insulation, should I just postpone my cook till calmer weather approaches or is there a cheat I can use to hold my 18" WSM in the 225-240 range for 5 hours despite a biting wind?

My technique to avoid wind is to find the side of the house with the least amount of wind and put my smoker there. It works great for me because it's usually my patio or driveway side that is the calmest so I've got a nice, flat area to work in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:
Looking at the weekend forecast it appeared that Saturday would be just right for my first slabs of ribs of 2010. Sunny and 40 degrees. Now it looks as if we'll have raw northwest winds gusting to 30mph. Since I don't have a wind-break of any kind nor any spare insulation, should I just postpone my cook till calmer weather approaches or is there a cheat I can use to hold my 18" WSM in the 225-240 range for 5 hours despite a biting wind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find an alternative windbreak:
- A card table
- Some cardboard
- Your car
- A tarp
- a tablecloth
- a shower curtain

My desire for ribs always wins out over weather conditions.

Hey Peter - Maybe you could direct the kids or maybe coax the wife to hold up a sheet as a windbreak while you're smoking. I know it wouldn't work at my house, but you never know.......... lol. You will probably need to make a windbreak of some sort. Good luck with the smoke. Bob

The occasional gust won't bother your cook too much. If there are continual gusts, close the vent facing the oncoming wind. Minion and catch temp on the way up. Start with enough fuel. You are good to enjoy the ribs. Besides, if you postpone the cook, the winds will be gentle and you'll be sorry. Isn't that the way it always is?

Peter,go ahead and do it like Dave said. The only time I won't/can't smoke is in the rain. Enjoy,my friend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Peter,go ahead and do it like Dave said. The only time I won't/can't smoke is in the rain. Enjoy,my friend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny thing about the rain is every time I plan to smoke on the weekend it always rains just as I am getting ready to start. Never fails!

I have just decided to do what ever I am going to do unregardless of the weather. I feel once you have the smoker going you will be fine. The main issue might be controlling the temps and I find that a nice wireless remote helps with this.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel on hand and just roll with it. Good luck with the cook. Vince

HolySmokes, I've cooked in down pours, drizzle, snow butt not sleet... butt then, I'm lucky to have one of these 10' x 10' EZ Ups. Makes cooking in crummy weather beerable
icon_wink.gif

Back