Problems with Maverick 733

Chris Stevz

Hello,

Anyone ever experience an issue with their device when it flashes LLL when you are clearly not below 32 degrees F. Mine has been doing this and I don't know if it's the probe or the device itself causing this. Been driving my crazy for days, i replaced the batteries, but no luck. One probe was working but then that died 1/2 through my Beef Rib cook, i was flying blind - can't stand that thermometer at the top. Ribs came out "decent" but I was just furious all day long. Having said that, if i were to replace this device, would you go for the new Smoke by Thermoworks or does anyone have any good experience with the unit from Weber, iGrill?

thanks
Chris

With these devices it's almost always something to do with the probe. The weak point is where the wire section meets the probe itself. There's a piece of insulation that separates the probe from the wire. If you loose that somehow the probe is ruined. Also water in that area can mess up the probe. I plan on upgrading to a thermoworks smoke. I also have an igrill2. I typically don't use the igrill2 for overnight cooks because I simply can not trust it. If you lose blutooth connection there's no warning and you can miss a temperature spike or a critical internal temp (say I want to wrap my brisket at 165 and the alarm never goes off.) The nice thing about the igrill2 is the probes come with a holder that you can wrap the wire around for storage.

Some suggestions for preemptive steps to protect your Maverick Probes at the probe/cable junction point:
* Use shrink sleeve tubing
* Use hi-temp automotive silicone
* Use hi-temp automotive aluminum tape

I've used the last two and have probes that have never failed.

Also try removing the probe jack and pushing it back in firmly as far as it will go.
I've had the LLL show up and this fixed it, until one probe shot craps. :(

Also try removing the probe jack and pushing it back in firmly as far as it will go.
I've had the LLL show up and this fixed it, until one probe shot craps. :(

What Bob said and also take a clean cloth and wipe off the probe jack before inserting it.

Some suggestions for preemptive steps to protect your Maverick Probes at the probe/cable junction point:
* Use shrink sleeve tubing
* Use hi-temp automotive silicone
* Use hi-temp automotive aluminum tape

I've used the last two and have probes that have never failed.

All 3 are great ideas. I wish I knew known these before I ruined my pit temp probe.
Thanks Erik,
Tim

Back