Red Pastrami

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
The original recipe I wrote as a response to a request. I used ingredients likely to be on hand, and that are the ingredients typically used for red pastrami, a version of pastrami found in some areas of New England.

Use Chris's suggestions for prepping and trimming, then replace the dry cure and rub as follows:

For the dry cure use:

1/4 cup Morton Tender Quick
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons granulated onion

Use the best Hungarian sweet paprika you can find.

Follow the curing and turning instructions. Rinse very well and soak as instructed.

For the cooking rub use:

3 tablespoons paprika

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds, slightly coarse grind

1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

A modified version --still red-- but using Aleppo for flavor and some heat, and switching some black pepper to white:

For the dry cure use:

1/4 cup Morton Tender Quick

1/4 cup Aleppo pepper

2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper

2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground coriander

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons granulated onion

For the cooking rub use:

3.5 tablespoons Aleppo pepper, ground slightly finer

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds, slightly coarse grind

1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

.25-.5 teaspoon cayenne

For the finish, one can steam. Some discussion here and here.

I've been anxious to try making pastrami for some time now and after I found this recipe last week I couldn't wait any longer.
I have two briskets that have been curing since last Tuesday and am cooking them Sunday morning. I prepared one with this recipe and one with Chris A's so I can compare. My fridge has never smelled better!

I have a couple questions on "weighting". I plan to smoke them to 165 or so and then put them in the fridge under a weight from a barbell (in a plastic bag) until they cool and then steam them until tender and "weight" them again before slicing. How necessary is it to wait (and weight) between the smoking and the steam? Am I just being a newbie dunce and and have completely missed the boat on "weighting"?

BTW, I made canadian bacon from a loin last weekend and used your tip on coating it with freshly ground/cracked black pepper before smoking and it is truly the best canadian bacon I've ever had. Many thanks for all your advice on so many topics.

Ron

Imo, it is not necessary to wait (and weight) between smoking and steaming.

(Glad you liked the bacon.)

Thanks Kevin.

I was hoping that was the case.

Will post some pics if the stars align (remember to take 'em, there's not much of my blood visible from the slicing, and I'm able to rassle the technology to the ground).

Ron

Pastrami.JPG

Pastrami%

Hi guys- new to the site...so the steam step in the process, is this done inside on the stove? I'm not using a WSM, but a kettle, so that may be a limitation for me if the steam is done on the smoker

Hi Marc & welcome!
My preference is to slice and steam only what I'm serving and for convenience sake, usually on a rack of sorts, in a pan on the stove top.

Back