Minion Method on WSM

Ray.S

TVWBB Super Fan
I use the Mindon method on my long cooks such as briskets and Butts and I use the Standard method (Mike Scrutchfield's Best Ribs In The Universe) for my shorter <6 hours cooks. When I use the MM I simply light 15 or so coals and dump on the a full ring that I make a center depression for the lit coals.

I have been wondering how the MM would work if the placement for the lit coals was at the perimeter of the charcoal ring. Placed in the center the burn radiates our in a 360º burn ring and when started out on the perimeter it would burn out in a 180º radial burn. I am guessing that the results would be very similar but I have not heard or seen of this done before. Any of you guys tried this?

Yea kinda sorta. On windy cold days Ill shut down the two forward vents and dump the coals by the tail end.
I dont notice anything different on start-up but I usually run higher heat like 275-300 and a empty foiled pan.

tim

I use the Mindon method on my long cooks such as briskets and Butts and I use the Standard method (Mike Scrutchfield's Best Ribs In The Universe) for my shorter <6 hours cooks. When I use the MM I simply light 15 or so coals and dump on the a full ring that I make a center depression for the lit coals.

I have been wondering how the MM would work if the placement for the lit coals was at the perimeter of the charcoal ring. Placed in the center the burn radiates our in a 360º burn ring and when started out on the perimeter it would burn out in a 180º radial burn. I am guessing that the results would be very similar but I have not heard or seen of this done before. Any of you guys tried this?

Starting out on the edge, isn't that the snake method?

Starting out on the edge, isn't that the snake method?

I could be wrong but I always thought of the snake method was a row of 2-3 briquets wrapping around. I was thinking here more a full ring of briquets.
Thanks

good day! are any of you still following this thread?

hey Ray, i always drop my lit briqs in a hole in the center i leave when filling the ring like you do, and probably most others. and again, like you, i linked the snake method to my kettles, rows of 2 staggered and stacked... i did try coning the load in the center and spilling the lit briq's to cover the edge, but i didn't have much of a return. admitting, i only tried it once, i have wanted to work on that a few times, just to see if there might be another answer or reason to use that avenue. that sounds like a good rainy day test run! if you do move forward and pick up any good points, please share! thanks.

After I posted this what I do is more like Soo's donut method on pretty much all cooks. I vary the amount of charcoal based on the length of the cook.

Back