Pork Tenderloin in Lawry's Jerk marinade - Very first smoke on 14.5

Mike B in NC

Marinated 1 pack (plain - non seasoned) pork tenderloins from Trader Joes in a mixture of 5% spicy mustard, 75% Lawry's Caribbean Jerk Marinade, and 20% Italian dressing all mixed together with some Slap Yo Mama seasoning. Sat for 3 hours in fridge.

Used chimney to light Royal Oak charcoal and grill quickly got up to 280 and I had trouble getting it down to 230 - 250. Water pan was full. After experimenting with vents, I figured it out. Threw on some CHERRY Wood chunks, put on the loins, and did not touch it for 2 hours. I then slathered on some mixture of the original marinade and Sonny's Sweet BBQ sauce (about 50 / 50), threw on some more wood chunks, let it go for another 40 minutes.

It was GREAT at that point and I ate my share. My wife (a microbiologist worried about bacteria) did not think it was done. I put it back on for another 40 minutes and it was then way too dry. Taste was excellent = just cooked too long. Looks like the rest will be BBQ pork sandwiches.

Anyway, I was satisfied with my first attempt. Any suggestions for my next smoke? Thanks.

With that cut of meat you want to cook to temp. I would cook to about 145* and then pull from smoker and let rest. Carry over cooking should do the rest. If you are doing a pork butt or brisket, then you cook till tender. This is somewhere between 190* and 205*.

Back