Competition meat size

I agree with Bruce on the pork butts, I usually look for 8-10 lbs. For brisket I prefer them a little bigger, I prefer 18-20 lbs for competition

Size really isn't all that important in pork butts as most commodity pork is between 7-10lb range. It's the money muscle that makes all the difference. I try to find two that are similar in size. We have found that 16-18lb's on the brisket works best for us. Would like to find bigger but it's easier to find good marbled prime briskets in the 16-18lb range out here. typically on the larger ones there are few to pick from so your stuck with buying the one they have. We like to pick through for what we think is the best for us.

Size really isn't all that important in pork butts as most commodity pork is between 7-10lb range. It's the money muscle that makes all the difference. I try to find two that are similar in size. We have found that 16-18lb's on the brisket works best for us. Would like to find bigger but it's easier to find good marbled prime briskets in the 16-18lb range out here. typically on the larger ones there are few to pick from so your stuck with buying the one they have. We like to pick through for what we think is the best for us.

I agree, it's more about the money muscle than it is the weight.

Size can also depend on what you're cooking on. When I used to cook 2 butts on the bottom rack of my 18", I used to look for 14lb 2 packs. As long as the money muscles were a decent size. That way the MM's weren't hanging over the side of the bowl.
For brisket on an 18" I would look for 14 - 18 lb., the bigger they were the harder to make them fit on the top rack of the 18.

Back