Bacon-wrapped Pork Loin - temp & time?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
The past few weekends have been crazy and I'm going through grilling withdraw. This weekend is more of the same, but I'm planning ahead to get my fix in on Sunday. I've got a nicely trimmed 2.75 lb. pork loin (not tenderloin - this was cut down from a whole boneless loin) and some applewood smoked bacon thawing in the fridge. Here's the game plan:

1. Brine the loin in apple juice, kosher salt, brown sugar, and maybe mustard powder. Probably do this late afternoon Saturday and take it out of the brine first thing Sunday morning.
2. Make a weave of the bacon, then wrap it around the loin and tie at several points.
3. Fire up the performer with a couple baskets of Stubbs and some small bits of apple wood for smoke.
4. Spit up the loin and rotisserie it until it hits ~140 and hope that the bacon is crisp by then.

Now, what I'm not sure of if the ideal cooking temp. The only time I usually do a large chunk of loin like this is for New Years Day, and I aim for a cooker temp of about 275, which translates to about 1.5 hours to get to 140. I'm a bit concerned that after that length of time, the bacon will burn. I could go to a higher temp and shorter time, but that could also lead to burning. Ideally, I want the inside to get to the target temp without overcooking the bacon, then I can crank up the heat to crisp it if necessary. I've just never cooked anything actually wrapped in bacon, so I don't want to screw it up.

I don't rotiss, but 275 is a good middle of the road temp for a bacon wrapped loin. ( it's what i do mine on a wsm )

Tim

Sounds like pretty much the way I'd do it.
I know it's a little more work but the last one I spun, with the bacon wrapper, it did exactly the thing you are concerned about,. All the bacon cooked to a delightful crispness and then fell off! I either should have tied it more closely to hold the bacon in place or just gone indirect.
Let us know how it turns out.

Sounds like pretty much the way I'd do it.
I know it's a little more work but the last one I spun, with the bacon wrapper, it did exactly the thing you are concerned about,. All the bacon cooked to a delightful crispness and then fell off! I either should have tied it more closely to hold the bacon in place or just gone indirect.
Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, pretty much what happened here. I had it tied in 7 or 8 spots and thought the bacon had crisped up enough, but when I started slicing, it just fell apart. It tasted amazing, but the presentation was kind of blown.

That's exactly what I had happen! I think it needs to be tied about every half inch so, there is the time consuming part. 2 per slice of bacon maybe? Not hard but tedious.
There are days when "pretty" isn't the end product but, "OH, YES! That's good" is still a good ending!

That looks wonderful Chad. Nicely done.
For those of you that cannnot butcher-tie meat correctly, (and that includes me), you may wish to consider meat netting. It really does a good job. Once the netting is on, it can be tightened up from each end to hold everything securely.

I have only successfully done the "running butchers knot" (one piece artfully tying the whole thing) a hand full of times. I have realized this shrtcoming in my culinary knowledge and have opted for the less artistic but equally efficient use of the surgeons knot. It ties quickly and easily.
Simple over hand (1st stage shoe tying knot) twice, draw it sung and finish going the other way. Sort of a long legged square or, granny knot really.

Last edited:

Back