New Roadside Find

Larry Baltz

This is a grill I picked up on the side of the road on Sunday. After a bit of research I'm fairly certain it's a '98 3000 or 5000. The serial # tag was on the removable side burner so I don't think that was an add-on kit. Weber site says it's a 3000, but many other sites say it's a 5000 so any clarification from the experts here would be appreciated.

The frame is perfect as is the porcelain. I'll either replace the wood or refinish it, not sure yet. The manifold and burners are fine, but it needs flavorizer bars, grates, paint, 2 igniters, and a new regulator and hose with modern connection. Warming baskets and a rotisserie are also an option. I plan on making this one my grill in the short term and I'll sell the restored Genesis Silver B I posted here earlier today to pay for the parts. I think I got a good deal on this one, Cheers!

30811320476_e2c0e59336_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_1821 by L Baltz, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_1822 by L Baltz, on Flickr

IMG_1830 by L Baltz, on Flickr

Great find! FYI, the Genesis 5000 has glass doors. Because you have a side burner but no glass doors, it would be a 3000.

I have that same grill, and have taken the same path as you. First I purchased a Genesis Silver B, then I found a really cheap 3000 and completely restored it. The restoration on the 3000 is here:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59970-Could-Not-Resist

It's been fun, and I've just refinished the wood slats and converted to NG because I moved into a house with gas service and a NG output right where I was keeping the grill!

Good luck, and slainte!

THyde, your grill looks fantastic! Great idea with the wood but I have a bunch of teak I scavenge from construction sites and use on my boat. That stuff (oiled) is impervious to weather and will not warp (plus I think it will look nice next to the black). I'll post pics along the way. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Cheers!

Thanks Larry, yeah Oak wasn't the best choice for wood, but I just sanded, stained and polyurethaned the wood and it looks fantastic again :)

Good luck restoring it, and please reach out if you have questions. I've done two grills so far, and there are some times where it's definitely better to take advice than make a mistake!

Nice find and as you have found out it appears to be a 3000 (or a III if there are no casters on one side as mine is). IMO these are better grills with the deeper fire box than the later models i.e. B, C what have you with the shorter fire box and single row of bars. They seem to have better heat control overall. I think you'll like it when it's done. Parts getting harder to find though thanks to Weber trying to get them "off the street" so as in the case of my Summit 450 (another abandonment by Weber) you will find possibly you'll need to scavenge parts from time to time. But you'll be rewarded with one of the best grills EVER made bar none

pretty cool!
i'm working on a similar one (Platinum I)...actually i have 4 of them waiting for some love

but my question is regarding the end caps on the lid. What i ended up doing was, with the aid of paint stripper, took them down to bare aluminum then sprayed them with the flat high heat paint...they looked great but i've noticed the paint is somewhat easy to scrape / scratch off. The BBQ is just sitting in the garage and has not been put into service yet and i can only imagine what's going to happen when i start putting the cover on and off on and off...the edges and corners of the end caps will be bare aluminum in no time.

I wish there was a high heat primer...i think that would have helped

what do you plan on doing?

Congrats on a great grill. When you have finished the rehab, that grill will give you many years of great service. Enjoy the thrill of bringing the grill back to full service.

I found the serial # on a paper sticker on the back side of the side burner. After referencing the Weber site I was able to verify it is a 1998, 3000. I'm excited to get this one in service as I've never had a Weber with the bidirectional flavorizer bars. As far as parts, most of what I need is available from Weber and I have found several slightly heavier (17 gauge) stainless flavorizers online as well some nice aftermarket stainless grates. I haven't figured out the grates yet. I might go for the cast iron...

Thanks for the encouraging words.

pretty cool!
i'm working on a similar one (Platinum I)...actually i have 4 of them waiting for some love

but my question is regarding the end caps on the lid. What i ended up doing was, with the aid of paint stripper, took them down to bare aluminum then sprayed them with the flat high heat paint...they looked great but i've noticed the paint is somewhat easy to scrape / scratch off. The BBQ is just sitting in the garage and has not been put into service yet and i can only imagine what's going to happen when i start putting the cover on and off on and off...the edges and corners of the end caps will be bare aluminum in no time.

I wish there was a high heat primer...i think that would have helped

what do you plan on doing?

On my Genesis Silver B I just sanded the surface to smooth out the rough finish leaving most of the original paint. I cleaned with compressed air and then wiped it down with acetone on a rag before applying Rustoleum high heat paint After heavy use this season I have no sign of peeling. I will take a similar approach with this one I think.

Last edited:
As for the flavorizer bars and grills, check out RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. Everyone swears by them and they will last forever. Might cost a bit more but well worth it.

Nice find Larry, that's a great grill. I found a 3000 for free and restored it to a 2000 as I didn't need the side burner and wanted more shelf space. Also added a right hand flip up shelf. Then I installed my 1999 1000 green grill that I bought new into the frame. I had previously restored the 1000 grill about a year ago.
DSCN3222_zpsi9ewk4ty.jpg

Nice find Larry, that's a great grill. I found a 3000 for free and restored it to a 2000 as I didn't need the side burner and wanted more shelf space. Also added a right hand flip up shelf. Then I installed my 1999 1000 green grill that I bought new into the frame. I had previously restored the 1000 grill about a year ago.
DSCN3222_zpsi9ewk4ty.jpg

That's a beauty! Did you buy the durawood slats from Weber or is that grey stained wood?

Both the 1000 and the 3000 had durawood so I just reused all of it for the 2000. The flip up on the right side is the flip up from the 1000 and I was able to get the right side bracket assembly from Ereplacmentparts.
I converted the 1000 frame to hold my 18.5 wsm and use the side burner on it to light the coals, also not shown is the Jumbo Joe that sits on the cart also.
DSCN3595_zpsh1o6u3cp.jpg

Both the 1000 and the 3000 had durawood so I just reused all of it for the 2000. The flip up on the right side is the flip up from the 1000 and I was able to get the right side bracket assembly from Ereplacmentparts.
I converted the 1000 frame to hold my 18.5 wsm and use the side burner on it to light the coals, also not shown is the Jumbo Joe that sits on the cart also.
DSCN3595_zpsh1o6u3cp.jpg

Rich, That's a fantastic rig you put together! Awesome.

Back