Looking for basic smoked whole pork loin recipe

Jim Mann

I picked up a big long boneless pork loin tonight, with intentions of smoking it on my WSM 18 over cherry wood and charcoal. I had not planned on stuffing this roast, just outside rub, injection of some type, and smoke away. Do I need to trim off the fat cap? I thought about using Cavendar's as the rub, apple cider and butter as the injection. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated and welcomed! This is the first smoking I have been able to do since I got my knee replaced a few weeks ago, and this is a gift for my Mom and Stepdad for their help. I want to do it right. Thanks, Jim

I picked up a big long boneless pork loin tonight, with intentions of smoking it on my WSM 18 over cherry wood and charcoal. I had not planned on stuffing this roast, just outside rub, injection of some type, and smoke away. Do I need to trim off the fat cap? I thought about using Cavendar's as the rub, apple cider and butter as the injection. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated and welcomed! This is the first smoking I have been able to do since I got my knee replaced a few weeks ago, and this is a gift for my Mom and Stepdad for their help. I want to do it right. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim, this is a pork loin cook that's a family favorite. The below thread has 3 different cooks: Gasser, WSM & Kettle, 2 of the threads are linked in the below link

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?67253-Trivecea

Jim, just use the rub of your choice and cook at a higher temp. I like around 325-350. Cook until internal at 145 and let rest

Jim your plan sounds solid but you might want to divide that loin in half ( it fits better on the 18", top grate ) And this way you can play with two different rubs, injections etc.:wsm:
Loin is a lean cut so leave whatever fat is on.

Tim

Back