Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: ThermoWorks Smoke Review

TVWBB Super Fan
    The ThermaPen Classic is now on sale for $62.50. That's 20% off the normal price. That's still a lot more than some of their other perfectly decent pocket thermometers, but if you have your heart set on a ThermaPen, this looks like the time to buy.

Yes, it's the Classic Thermapen Red & Blue Sale: http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-T...VWB&chan=TVWBB

The two best colors now 20% off!

Please use our link to help support the forum!

The Smoke is on sale for $84 today. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get one! Will help out a bunch on Thanksgiving Day.

Stupid question alert, and if it's been covered already I'm sorry: Do I need to stick the cord/line through the grommet on the WSM or can I just have them under the lid? Just putting on that grommet was a huge pain in the rear and I've heard a lot of people accidentally pulling their grommets off their WSMs when removing the cord/line from Smoke and other digital therms. Thoughts/advice? Sorry about the ignorant question... I've never used a digital therm before, so I'd like to know beforehand.

You don't have to put it through the grommet. It certainly can go under the lid, or even out the top vent.

Thanks, J. I know it was an ignorant question, but again, I'm just a newbie to these digital therms.

I love my Smoke thermometer. It takes all the guess work out of grilling, BBQing and smoking. You will be amazed at how much the difference in temps between the Weber lid thermometers and the temps recorded using the ambient air probe at the grill grate level.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Bruce, I can't wait!

I've done 10 cooks with my WSM since June (when I got it) with no gadgets whatsoever, only going by the dome temp. I've cooked up some amazing food despite going by what it says, but I'm curious to see just how inaccurate the temp is for me.

Troy...

You'll love the Smoke ! Btw, if you used the Smoke to check against the dome thermometer, remember its not an accuracy issue but rather a location issue.
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Bob:
    Yes, I understand that, but when a recipe tells you to cook at 350 degrees and all you have is the dome thermometer to go by, you are likely cooking the food at more like 450 since the temp on the grate level is where the food is at. THe smoke thermometer just takes the guess work out of grilling.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Bob:
    Yes, I understand that, but when a recipe tells you to cook at 350 degrees and all you have is the dome thermometer to go by, you are likely cooking the food at more like 450 since the temp on the grate level is where the food is at. THe smoke thermometer just takes the guess work out of grilling.
    It depends on so many factors...I recently made a brisket and checked lid temp and grate temp every 30 minutes. More often than not, there was not a big difference between the two, and sometimes the grate temp exceeded the lid temp! So I've given up on my assumptions about temp differences between the two grates.

Lid Grate
    228 225
    260 255
    275 267
    265 264
    280 275
    288 286
    297 297
    300 310
    270 292
    244 268
    244 257
    300 301
    262 282
    271 258
    274 273
    260 268

Lid thermometer is a Wika industrial thermometer with 4" stem. Grate temp is a ThermoWorks Smoke.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast