3 day old SJS

Larry Scott

Did my first cook on my SJS, just got it sunday. I put a control knob on the lower vent tab ao I don't burn my pinkies adjusting the vent. Then drilled some holes just below the lid of a suitable size can then cut the can down to about an inch +. Now it won't be bothered with ashes and still breath.

Did a couple of NY strips. WOW! I would say that was a better cook and sear job than the Slow n Sear on my 22" one touch does, and I think faster. Kudos to the "Grilln Gods" they did a good job on Smokey Joe.

~Larry~

Ps, use lump to make it a furnace ! You will have to get some expanded metal to fit over the coal grate so the lump doesn't fall through. Pack the lump together or it won't stay lit.

I also agree it is a great little cooker as my lunch today was a tasty grill-marked cheese hamburger using one custom "Grill-Grate". It fires-up easily in around 15 minutes and really does a great job when you need to cook for 1 or 2 people.

Down here in Costa Rica "Kingsford Charcoal" is almost double the price in the USA and I generally get-by with a 3/4 load charcoal in the Weber Small Chimney in cooking a couple pieces of meat, potatoes and few veggies.

Last edited:

Back