Eye of round roasts

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I keep trying to get one of these to turn out in any state other than rubbish. I have tried several times for a decent product and failed every time, I'm not am inattentive cook with a more than a little practice in most areas but, I see these roasts for sale all the time and I always pass because of past failures. Any suggestions? By all accounts it should be good but, Gee!

Dont take it (internal) over 125o. Low and slow will work but you can do it at 300o as there is zero internal fat to melt off. It will rise another 5-8o while resting. You want this no more than medium rare. Slice it thin as you can when it has cooled off a bit .

edit-->this was written before I realized it was in the grill section. Therefore, do it offset and remove the lid as little as possible. Temps are the same.

Last edited:
I cook them on the rotisserie hot and fast to 125 internal. Then I use a slicer to slice them very thin for some fabulous roast beef sammiches.

Yep, I do mine on the WSM around 270ish till it hits 115. Tent it and remove the center section and sear it directly over the coals.
It's also great for jerky or homemade corned beef.

Tim

Thanks for the starting points, thank goodness I have good knives, I don't have a slicer.
I'm especially fond of the turn and burn idea, maybe a big blanket of bacon to help keep things moist?
I will give it another shot one of these days.
Edit-
Has anyone tried spiral butterflying one and stuffing it? I guess butterfly is not quite the right term but, I think you talented folks all know what I'm thinking. I have done it but, never really thought about what the particular style of knife work might be called, sort of spiral filleting?
These are on sale at $2.99/lb. and there must be a way!
I guess a slicer goes on the Christmas list but, where in blazes do I store one.....!

Last edited:
As for storing a slicer Tim, do you have any free storage space in the garage? That is what I am looking at for a second fridge/freezer and some of the things we don't use all the time. Have to clean out the garage anyway so might as well make it useful for something productive.

A slicer is great, but if you have sharp (REALLY sharp) knives and steady hands, you can get by without one. Also if it's small enough (all the eyes I've ever cooked were about 3 inches across), and you have one, you could use a mandolin slicer, preferably the type with a V-shaped blade (sometimes called a "V-slicer"). You'd want the meat fairly cool to go that route or it'll just shred.

I have ten pounds of crap in a five pound garage to answer you Bob. But, I suppose ifI really worked at it, I could probably find space for a slicer AND a vacuum packer!
I have better knives than many and fair hands (for a mandolin player) so, thanks for the vote of confidence boys!
I might just have to give one another try!
I wonder how one would slice with a Cuisinart slicing blade, might need to be cooked and slightly frozen to slice for sandwiches, hmmm....

I could probably find space for a slicer AND a vacuum packer!

Well, if you're in an equipment-buying mode, consider a sous vide cooker from SanSaire or Anova! Maybe one of the best ways to turn an inexpensive eye round roast into something that tastes a lot more expensive.

I got one a couple years ago, it works wonders with meats. With eye round, you can immerse for a few hours (or 10) and do a finishing sear on the grill, and wind up with an incredible product.

I never had great success just smoking/grilling an eye round. The 2nd best option was this:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/94113/high-temperature-eye-of-round-roast/

TFL.
I think that cut is what we call silverside over here.
I did one a while back on the WSM. I cooked it at 225f for an IT of 130f. Then seared on all sides.
As Len says, it's a very lean cut with minimal marbling. So if you go much higher IT it will turn to boot leather.

Do it Baltimore Pit Beef style. Direct heat turning frequently and don't go over 120 internal, Slice thin, serve with Tiger sauce and sliced onions on a Kaiser roll. If you let it set overnight in the fridge it will be a lot easier to slice thin with a knife

I like the Baltimore idea! Nice to see a few more suggestions, thanks folks!
I just had a nice ribeye steak sandwich (leftovers from the other day) and now I'm hungry again!!!L

Dont take it (internal) over 125o. Low and slow will work but you can do it at 300o as there is zero internal fat to melt off. It will rise another 5-8o while resting. You want this no more than medium rare. Slice it thin as you can when it has cooled off a bit .

edit-->this was written before I realized it was in the grill section. Therefore, do it offset and remove the lid as little as possible. Temps are the same.

I do what Len said cook offset at 300 until it hits 115 then remove and let it rest. I throw it in the fridge and use my meat slicer the next day and slice it real thin. Make great French dip sammies.

i'm with Tim and Rich G on this one... eye of round makes EXCELLENT jerky.
i prefer to cut WITH the grain about 5mm thick.
Costco has beautiful EOR for $4.29 right now

YEuDMDAARmH4GXsaaJZjlyCaxjlI41k6hCCoLKmax2wrCBfOihILmFBvaGtAtK2mbFxjJ_aQT5RbBv9h5nKkbuwjBoJKWJyFgEX1nQ6zIx9u1abRfpnNnfEq-veekE_jDsV_kudiAx7Qody4WVcX010Zv-HWjwDVjwMr749x1QFIuAzYznkdTZtBOCOh2ylJC0Df1hpk76Q6VvDVQxaaMWerqLbQP60N0kQUa4QCT7tX7ncbMtLGg8uZ_Btk3j7iJLRtGxTUw_TFiwfJ9IoPCsogLdSVk2gibN_m5hNPfC6wgJjfd5HIj-b9ojyio5XrvpJEqGiQiKeeySQR8apOFDE1QhsBYCpfwib2tw7O6hACPi6b-PeKvy5_e6IRGNAGkfm9qAUlZBo1wGUCH81UmyetqVDdVHpQsYPsq2aULWx53f1mI01C0L5Yp6j8BROfAXcCJkNQFn1MRgHAKCz3HIDq5qGYI8MTYXAYweKDVKKwWFpouYE7SUxr9JsSHGDG4EJrTHc-lSH5ctGaTFiA4zWkIGpTCbjS5Uzzx5CMcW31bpHK89Uhojz80luodC4Gr1-pyTcyIEGcekvLuCM8OylEO3Bc8yLb2_7BxdxtHuwevvZDhnIjZA=w851-h638-no

Jim, do you "slightly freeze" before slicing? I think I might need to start dipping my toes in the "jerk" pool with that might be fun. I have recently gotten a very serious taste for jerky and the cost for commercial stuff is stupid!

I have recently gotten a very serious taste for jerky

Dried, smoky, salty, spicy meat? Of course you have, Tim!! :)

I don't know how Jim preps his EOR, but I typically will throw mine in the freezer for 45-60 minutes before slicing.....if I have time. If I don't, I just slice it. My knives are very sharp, so it's usually pretty easy either way.

R

If Tony is right and this is indeed what we here call Silverside, then I use it to make biltong.

I have also used it plenty time to make satays
(cube, marinate in sweet soy, chili, garlic, ginger and chili, then on skewers and on the braai at high heat)

Jim, do you "slightly freeze" before slicing? I think I might need to start dipping my toes in the "jerk" pool with that might be fun. I have recently gotten a very serious taste for jerky and the cost for commercial stuff is stupid!
i do, Timothy... it's actually frozen pretty good. Using a meat slicer makes that process quite easy.
And, a simple and very good jerky kit is available at about 7 & ahalf bucks... enough to make 15 pounds.

https://www.psseasoning.com/collections/jerky-making-kits

or, this recipe is very good also... by a member here using Bob Correll's handle.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51256-Old-Surveyor-makes-deer-jerky-from-35-year-old-recipe

Back