cast iron pan damage i'm so mad

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so the wife says she wants to get the bigger ci pan out. so I go where its stored.
grab the 10" one out of a bag, there is very light rust but no biggy, wire brush cleans it up.
wipe it down, oil it and its good to go. I mention to her that we have a much bigger
one but she is not interested at this time.
so today I go to check on my pile of ci that I store. first 5" pan is ok. the second
has some rust on the outside part. what ? I look at another and it has more.
the next one has rust also. these are all in the lower stored edge parts.
I pull out another 10" pan and its ok as it was in a bag. then I pull out my near
new fajita pan and its got rust on the inside part in a small section.
now I'm truly upset and saying bad words.
then I pull out the last pan, a 12" and I just about pass out. its got rust flaking off
on about a quarter section and rust all over. the bottom and sides are ok.
I just about loose it.
so I start tackling the rust right away. it looks like I can save them with not to much work
except for the big one. I will have to do some sanding to smooth out the damaged area.
while doing all this I'm wondering how this could have happened. go over all sorts of ideas
until I realize what happened. my dang cats were urinating on them !
no treats for them for a while !
so keep an eye on your stored ci. I'm putting them in a plastic storage container when I'm done.

george

Both ? Naw, just the ci. Last night the culprit came into the house for his nightly treat from my son. I saw him and started telling him what I was going to do to him. He actually slinked back out of the house.

Think about the humidity in the sealed plastic container. Also, store them upside down you will have less tendency for moisture to collect. Or you could simply hang them!

Yup, both to consider. Not much humidity here. And yes, I'm kicking myself for not storing them upside down. No room for hanging. Yet.

If it's an airtight bin, you might want to add one of these to it. I've also heard that a small bowl of uncooked rice works well for absorbing ambient moisture. Thankfully, I have a three-seasons porch on the back of the house that I keep very well ventilated and store all my CI out there. I also use bits of scrap cardboard in between each piece so there's no metal-on-metal contact. Also, the cardboard serves as an early warning of excess humidity (if it's wavy, it's gotten damp).

my dang cats were urinating on them !
no treats???!!! THAT'S ALL??!!
I'da hung those felines from the highest tree THEN blown'em away with a shotgun!
Screw with MY ci......

For those of you tuning in from PETA and the SPCA:

No animals were harmed in the creation of this thread, BUT IT WAS TEMPTING!!!...

Cats have survived my most worse stare and bad kitty words. The one that did the dirty deed still gives me the stinkeye though.

so the wife says she wants to get the bigger ci pan out. so I go where its stored.
grab the 10" one out of a bag, there is very light rust but no biggy, wire brush cleans it up.
wipe it down, oil it and its good to go. I mention to her that we have a much bigger
one but she is not interested at this time.
so today I go to check on my pile of ci that I store. first 5" pan is ok. the second
has some rust on the outside part. what ? I look at another and it has more.
the next one has rust also. these are all in the lower stored edge parts.
I pull out another 10" pan and its ok as it was in a bag. then I pull out my near
new fajita pan and its got rust on the inside part in a small section.
now I'm truly upset and saying bad words.
then I pull out the last pan, a 12" and I just about pass out. its got rust flaking off
on about a quarter section and rust all over. the bottom and sides are ok.
I just about loose it.
so I start tackling the rust right away. it looks like I can save them with not to much work
except for the big one. I will have to do some sanding to smooth out the damaged area.
while doing all this I'm wondering how this could have happened. go over all sorts of ideas
until I realize what happened. my dang cats were urinating on them !
so keep an eye on your stored ci. I'm putting them in a plastic storage container when I'm done.

george

Now that would p!ss me off ! :)

Back