DIY Vortex wings with Hawaiian marinade

ZacMiller

TVWBB Member
I was really in the mood for some wings yesterday, and was wanting to try the votex method of grilling them, so off to the hardware store I went. planned on buying some thin sheet metal and building one, but instead i came a crossed a chimney reducer from 10" to 8" so i bought it and home i went. I was rather surprised on how well it worked just had to modify it a little with a grinder so the center grill grate bar would clear. so i fired it up to burn off and residue and put the wings in a Hawaiian marinade, left in the fridge for a few hours. then it was off to the grill. the makeshift vortex seemed to do the job with getting a crispy skin, through a few wood chips on and smoked um for a short bit too. after it was all set and done the got tossed in some sweet baby rays Hawaiian BBQ sauce along side some celery and blue cheese it was everything i hoped for... (the pictures attached dont have the DIY vortex i pulled it off already then thought about a pic)

Hawaiian marinade
3 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup dry sherry
1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 green onions, diced
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper

Last edited:
Hi Zac

I got below from Homedepot - in AC Duct section - a 10 to 8 inch reducer. Trust this will work, i have to cut about 0.5 inch to fit in my 22.5 Kettle.

tGN4DeR.jpg

3MeN7Bb.jpg

I can't see anything but a pile of lit coals in the top pics?
Am I missing something?
I thought the vortex encapsulated the coals.

Agree on not using anything galvanized.

I can't see anything but a pile of lit coals in the top pics?
Am I missing something?
I thought the vortex encapsulated the coals.

Agree on not using anything galvanized.
You'd have to read it, last sentence... but yes it does I pulled it off prior to picture

lol its all good i'm the same way, I'm actually using the brake press at work today and making a new model. making it outta 10ga mild steel then a stainless model after that... Ill post some pictures

Just gotta weld up the seam quick and its go time, it came out spot on 12" on the bottom 8" on the top 6" high

Back