Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New from NorCal with a recent free gas grill in need of restoration

TVWBB Fan
    Yeah two of those platinums have popped up this week. I got make more room

I took some measurements and I think as mentioned above the manifold may be the issue on using the different depth boxes. However I am curious as to the compatibility of the manifolds maybe swapping them may get over the hump or maybe just swapping the mounting hardware

Spacing is different between valves so they will not interchange. The fire box of the newer models is smaller than the older ones

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie G View Post
    Yeah two of those platinums have popped up this week. I got make more room

I took some measurements and I think as mentioned above the manifold may be the issue on using the different depth boxes. However I am curious as to the compatibility of the manifolds maybe swapping them may get over the hump or maybe just swapping the mounting hardware
    There seem to be a ton of Silvers around right now, including a nice C in Discovery Bay. That's a good 90 min drive for me, which is not possible right now. There was a killer deal on a $35 silver c with tank in Elk Grove, but it was gone by the time I had management approval to go get it.

On the mixing generations parts then, seems that:

New(er) fire box must stay with the newer manifold.
    Still not sure if the new(er) fire box must stay with the newer frame.
    Still not sure if the new(er) lid/ends can swap or not (maybe someone answered already and I missed it).
    Need to check, but do the 5 longer flavorizor bars off an older 13 bar system fit the newer 5 bar boxes?

By chance I'll be driving past a Gen 1000 today, and have arranged to pop in and see it. It is not a great deal though, as for the same money, I've seen complete/working grills. Missing some bolts ($5 at Ace), but also thermometer ($15), 1 grate ($30? for cheapest), and doesn't come with a tank. So it'd end up being an $80 grill in rough condition, yet there are better condition grills for that money. If the frame is mint, then I will likely grab it, as it'll save a lot of time repairing my frame. Otherwise I'm holding out for a 2000 or a Silver/Gold C once I confirm more about swapping parts.

And yes, I realize that most others would have just gone and collected any number of the better deals I've seen come through CL, however the lack of a pickup and always having a car seat with child in the back of the wagon, makes it challenging. In two weeks I'll actually be down in Manteca, which is really near Discovery Bay, but I doubt this one will still be available then. As said before, my busted frame Platinum 1200 will last years, so I'm not inclined to hurry in replacing it.
    (Genesis 1200 Platinum Series - Green, to be sold once the 1000 is restored) (Genesis 1000 RedHead 1991 with smoker and rotisserie conversion): WANTED

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Savarese View Post
    Still not sure if the new(er) lid/ends can swap or not (maybe someone answered already and I missed it).
    Need to check, but do the 5 longer flavorizor bars off an older 13 bar system fit the newer 5 bar boxes?
    Found it, someone says that apparently the lid (and grates) fit between the generations. So a silver C could have a 1000 lid and grates put on it.
    (Genesis 1200 Platinum Series - Green, to be sold once the 1000 is restored) (Genesis 1000 RedHead 1991 with smoker and rotisserie conversion): WANTED

TVWBB Member
    Well, couldn't resist, got another Genesis, this time a 1991. Might still end up with another if a 2000 or bigger comes up conveniently, but for now this one provides a solid frame, a red hood, and a smoke box. It ended up costing $30. It'll restore the whole thing to a higher standard this time, and move my RCPlaner grates/bars across, and then decide what to do with the green platinum.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678